WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Today.wisc.edu Events Page Element
This document explains how to add the Today.wisc.edu Events page element to your site. For an example, see https://wiscweb.wisc.edu/page-elements/today-events/.
The Today.wisc.edu Events page element will allow you to display events from the today.wisc.edu site on a page.
Today.wisc.edu Events is available in the One, Two, and Three Column Content Layouts.
- We recommend using a maximum of five events in Two and Three column Content Layouts.
Adding the Today.wisc.edu Events Page Element
- Navigate to the page on which you want to add the Today.wisc.edu Events page element.
- Scroll to the Primary Content Area and the Layout on which you want to add the Today.wisc.edu Events.
- At the bottom of that Layout, click on Add Page Element.
- On the Page Element list, click on Today.wisc.edu Events.
Using the Today.wisc.edu Events Page Element
Latest Posts has the following options:
- Header text: Adds a title above the events.
- today.wisc.edu URL: The URL associated with the event list you want to display.
- Number of events to show: The number of events that are displayed. Three is the default.
Accommodating Multiple Categories/Feeds
You will not have the ability to set more than one URL in the page element in WiscWeb. If you want greater control over the events in your site’s event list, use the Feed Manager tool in today.wisc.edu. Using the Feed Manager, you can create a feed of events based on multiple tags and other rules. To use it:
- You must be part of a departmental account to use the Feed Manager. To create a new departmental account click your name top right and choose this option.
- After the departmental account is approved (within a day), select Manage My: and choose Feeds
- Click the Create New Feed button to create a feed.
- After giving it a title, add filtering rules (e.g. include my department’s events; include events tagged ‘science’)
- Click the Re-apply filters button (beneath the filter rules) to run the filters. (They otherwise run nightly.)
- You can also manually add events to your feed clicking the gray “+Add” button next to an event from the list of all public events (next to the filter rules)
- Go back to your feeds list and click on HTML in list view next to feed you want to include on your site. Copy URL and add it into the page element.
- If you run into issues during this Feed Manager process or have questions, please direct them to email@example.com.