My UW-Madison - Personal Information Module

Employee personal information as it is recorded in the HRS system can be verified online at in the Personal Information app. Changes to your address, phone, release home address release information, emergency contacts, marital status and coordination of benefits can be made through the Personal Information app in As part of this module you may also create a preferred name.

Locating the Personal Information Module

If you do not see the Personal Information app on your homepage, search for "Personal Information". From the results page, you can either launch the app or "add to home" for easier access in the future.

Personal Module Display

Updating Personal Information

  1. Click the "Update my Personal Information..." link near the bottom of the app.  This will take you to HRS Self Service and you can then update your address, phone, release home address release information, emergency contacts, marital status and coordination of benefit.

  2. To change your campus business email, click the "Change" link located after your email address. It may take up to two hours for that to be reflected in the HRS system. It will be reflected in the campus directory the next day.

  3. To change your business/office address contact your Payroll office directly.

Updating Preferred Name

Before you enter a preferred name please read this note first:  Your primary/legal name may still appear alongside your preferred name in some places. If you have any concern about your primary/legal name appearing, please contact before entering a preferred name. Please also visit the Preferred Name FAQ site for the most up to date information about the use of preferred name.

Click the "Change" link in order to enter or update your preferred first or middle name, or to modify the capitalization, spacing, or punctuation of your last name.  If you already have a preferred name and wish to delete it, click on the "Delete" link.  You will see a change pending message and once it is complete your preferred name will show (not set).

Please note that the following restrictions apply if updating your middle or last name:

  • To change your middle or last name, you must supply a preferred first name. This can be your legal first name.
  • When updating your last name, only changes to the capitalization, spacing (adding or removing spaces), apostrophes (adding or removing) and hyphens are allowed. Any other changes will result in an error message being displayed.
Click "Save" when completed.


A "change pending" message will appear on the screen until it has been completed.  It may take up to 2 hours for your preferred name to appear in the Student Center and My UW and up to 48 hours for your preferred name to appear in the White Pages (campus directory).

For additional information see FAQ's at

Updating Last Name

Faculty and staff members may need to update their last name for professional correspondence, please see Preferred Name - Faculty Exceptions to the Last Name Policy.  If you have a legal name change, first confirm that your name has been changed with the Social Security Administration and second Contact HR.

Students may update their last name as part of Preferred Name process, but may only change capitalization, spacing, apostrophes and hyphens.  
For a legal name change, please see legal name change form at

Keywords:MyUW My UW-Madison work record tab portal personal contact information home address change update modify employee mum HRS preferred first middle last name legal name   Doc ID:7132
Owner:Laura S.Group:My UW-Madison Portal
Created:2008-02-28 19:00 CDTUpdated:2020-06-22 17:03 CDT
Sites:DoIT Help Desk, Identity and Access Management, My UW-Madison Portal, UW Department of Surgery
Feedback:  94   112