HS-IRBs News August 2017
Health Sciences and Minimal Risk IRBs, IRB News/Volume 9, Number 8, August 2017
HS-IRBs Office ClosureThe HS IRBs office will be closed Monday, September 4th, in observance of Labor Day.
Upcoming IRBs for Beginners WorkshopThe Health Sciences IRBs for Beginners Workshop provides training on the HS IRB's processes, regulatory approval process, resources, and ARROW online application system. The two-hour workshop is held several times each year in the HSLC computer lab (room 2121), and is meant for individuals new to the HS IRBs processes or for those looking for help on how to effectively submit an IRB application. The workshop consists of two sections meant to provide the regulatory framework and technical skills to submit an application. The September date and registration link can be found below; the next training will not be held for another six weeks.
- Monday, September 18th - 1PM to 3PM, HSLC 2121 - Registration available here.
Improving IRB Processes for Researchers - Self-Service Removal of PersonnelStarting October 2nd, 2017, study teams will be able to remove study team personnel studies using a new self-service activity. This new activity, called “Remove Personnel,” will be available to Principal Investigators (PIs) and Points of Contact (POCs) on studies reviewed by the Health Sciences IRBs that are either approved or expired. Since this activity will be self-service, this means study teams will no longer need to submit a personnel change only to remove study team members. Please see our FAQ for more information. For questions about this or other ARROW improvements, please contact email@example.com.
Reminder: HS IRBs Staffing and Workload ConsiderationsThe HS IRBs Office is still actively recruiting and looking forward to increasing our staff resources. Please continue to help us during this time of short-staffing by doing the following:
- If you have a new study that requires approval by a particular deadline, please inform us of this when you submit the application. Use the “Comment” box when submitting the application to provide detailed information about the deadline. Our office will use these details to triage and prioritize studies to the best of our ability.
- If you have a new study currently under review for which a specific deadline for approval has emerged (e.g., notification of potential funding), please contact the staff reviewer assigned to your application to notify them of the new deadline. Again, we will do our best to prioritize applications with such deadlines.
- Finally, if you are or plan to participate in a multisite study for which another institution is serving as the lead site or coordinating center, please contact the HS IRBs Reliance Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss the possibility of ceding IRB review to a non-UW IRB.
Wisconsin IRB Workshop 2017On August 21, 2017, the UW-Madison HS-IRBs Office hosted over 75 attendees for the first WI IRB Workshop, "Are you ready for the revised Common Rule?". Designed for IRB staff, members, and chairs, the conference provided opportunities for large and small IRBs to discuss the revised Common Rule and mechanics of single IRB review. Presentation slides are available on the event website. Special thanks to event sponsors, including Public Responsibility in Medicine & Research (PRIM&R) and Marshfield Clinic Research Institute. For more details about this workshop, please contact Elizabeth Jach at email@example.com.
Questions? We're Here to Help!
Whether you have a question about a specific protocol, a general question about the submission process, or need clarification about research policy, we have several ways you can reach us.
- Urgent issues (e.g., subject safety concerns), please call our main line (608-263-2362) and ask to speak with the staff reviewer on call for the day. Please do NOT use email for these kinds of questions.
- General IRB questions, please call our main line (608-263-2362) to speak with the staff reviewer on call or email firstname.lastname@example.org. These are the quickest ways to get help with general questions.
- Specific questions regarding the status of your review and/or reviewer notes, please contact the staff reviewer assigned to your application.
- Help with single IRB review and reliance questions, email irbreliance.wisc.edu.
- Assistance with ARROW or technical questions, email email@example.com.
- Newsletter and other IRB updates, please sign up for the general HS-IRBs listserv by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- WIRB updates, please sign up for the WIRB listsserv by emailing email@example.com with a request to be put on the list.
- Consultations: For investigators seeking assistance on a specific program or application, HS-IRBs staff are available for individual consultations. To request a consultation, complete the HS-IRBs Presentation and Consultation Request Form.
- Presentations: The HS-IRBs office is available to provide the research community with presentations and trainings on a variety of topics. To request a presentation, complete the HS-IRBs Presentation and Consultation Request Form.