Cisco VoIP - Downloading and Configuring the Jabber App for Android
Due to the wireless nature of this service and the multitude of mobile operating systems available we cannot guarantee call quality or user experience on this application. Because of this, the DoIT Help Desk is only able to offer best effort support for this client.
How to download and install the Cisco Jabber app for Android devices. Note, there may be slight differences in text or visuals for different devices and operating systems. This information is from Android OS 7.0. Please note this will only work for phone numbers assigned to individuals, not accounts assigned to locations or roles (like Reception Desk or Accounting Team). Cisco Jabber for Android supports only one telephone line per account.
You must first have an account for Cisco Jabber for Android. To determine if you have an account, log into the Cisco Self Care Portal. The first page is My Phones, if "Cisco Jabber for Android" is not listed, please fill out this form to request one.
Downloading the Cisco Jabber App
- Go to the Google Play Store on your device.
- Search for Cisco Jabber.
- Install the Cisco Jabber app made by Cisco Systems, Inc
- The device will download and install the app.
Configuring the Cisco Jabber App
- Open the Cisco Jabber app on your device.
- Read and accept the Important Notice regarding 911 calls.
- Review the required permissions and select Get Started.
- Accept or deny access to your contacts. This will sync your devices contact list with Cisco Jabber.
- Accept or deny access to record audio. This allows the phone use the microphone on your device. If you decline this you will not be able to make or receive calls.
- Accept or deny access to make and manage calls. This allows the phone to make and receive calls. If you decline this you will not be able to make or receive calls.
- Accept or deny allowing the app to ignore battery optimizations. This allows the phone to stay connected in the background even if you don't have the app open. If you decline this you will not be able to make or receive calls unless the app is open.
- Enter your NetID@wisc.edu when prompted and select continue.
- Enter your UW-Madison NetID and password when prompted and select login.
- The app is now configured for use.