Proposing Directed/Independent Study or Thesis Courses
Individual study courses are different from group instruction courses in that they do not have a pre-defined curriculum. Proposals to create or change an individual study course must still go through the regular course proposal process.
There are a number of areas where this type of course must follow the same requirements as all other for-credit courses:
- They must have learning outcomes.
- Students must be provided with information about how they will be graded.
- Information must be provided about the amount of work and assignments/deliverables that are required.
- Information that outlines the frequency and nature of the student-instructor contact is needed.
- The course must follow the credit hour policy.
- If the course number is less than 700, the course must adhere to the Policy on Directed/Independent Study for Undergraduates.
The sample syllabus may be replaced with a directed/independent study or thesis agreement form.