Canvas - Options to Restrict Student Access (UW-Madison)
Canvas has several methods to restrict course access. By default, students will be able to view course materials once a course is published. This KnowledgeBase article covers the various options instructors have to restrict student access.
As an instructor, you can change restrictions for student access in your course: including the ability for students to view and participate in the course.
Restrict students from viewing course before start date:
- Default Settings: When a student enrolls in a future course, it is listed in the Future Enrollments section of the student Courses list.
- Once a course is published, Canvas displays an invitation to join the course, where the students can view course content at any time before the course begins.
- When enabled: When the student restriction for the course start date is enabled, students cannot view a link to the course until the start date, even if the course is published.
Restrict students from viewing course after end date:
- Default Settings: Once a course has concluded, the course is displayed in a read-only state for students: students can still view the course but cannot interact or edit content.
- When Enabled: When the student restriction for the course end date is enabled, students can no longer view the course in the Courses list after the course has concluded.
- This setting can be used if your institution uses the course across multiple terms and want to restrict students from accessing prior content for future students, or if students have to re-enroll in the course.
- Tutorial: How do I restrict student access to a course before or after the course dates?
Restrict students from participating in the course between dates:
- If you do not want to let students participate in the course outside of the course dates, select the Users can only participate in the course between these dates checkbox .
- Default Settings: If this checkbox is not selected, students can participate in the course before and after the start date.
- When Enabled: students can only participate in the course between the specified dates
- Instructors and admins are not affected.
- More details: How do term dates, course dates, and section dates work in Canvas?