UW Madison Pending P-card changes
Accounting Services is working on a UW Department purchasing card. This has been approved by DOA with the next step being working with US Bank. This will be a VISA card issued by US Bank and supported by Access Online, separate from the current purchasing cards and corporate cards. A Site Manager and Divisional Financial Officer must approve in order to receive the Department card.
Each card will be assigned a Department Card Administrator (DCA)
- DCA must be an employee of the UW (no students)
- DCA will have as assigned Site Manager
- DCA is personally responsible for all Department Card activity and requirements
- DCA's Site Manager is personally responsible for review/reconciliation of all Department Card actvity
A transaction activity log is required for each Department Card. The DCA will be responsible for tracking all activity
- User sign out
- Purchase business purpose
- User return
Pilot testing and analysis is required prior to full campus implementation. Pilot testing is targeted for December 2017. DOA requires a one year review of the program.
See attached document for the full explanation.
Summary of Purchasing Card Changes
Procure-to-Pay (P2P) Purchasing Card Compliance Implementation Project
Last updated (6/19/2017)
Why Are Changes Being Made?
- Building a framework for financial internal controls for UW-Madison is essential to protecting the university's resources and reputation, as well as those of its employees.
- Some of the current business practices in the Purchasing Card Program have been out of compliance with UW System and Wisconsin Department of Administration (DOA) rules and also expose the university to unnecessary liability.
- Although employees may have received different direction on acceptable use of purchasing cards in the past, the current direction better aligns with the university's goal of responsible resource stewardship.
- Despite the considerable effort involved with changing the way we, as an institution, do business, it is the right thing to do.
What Are The Changes?
- There are three primary changes which are being implemented in phases:
- Phase 1: Instituting a new warning and revocation process for noncompliance with purchasing card policy and procedures.
- Phase 2: Eliminating designated users for purchasing cards.
- Phase 3: Discontinuing use of purchasing cards for internal purchases between UW-Madison units.
- Currently we are focused on Phases 1 and 2, which are reflected in the timeline. Phase 3 will required additional time as the Purchasing Services Department evaluates alternative purchasing options and resources.
See the following link for the full document.