Education and Social/Behavioral Science Institutional Review Board (ED/SBS IRB) Newsletter, IRB Insider / Volume 6, Issue 3, February 2018
Revised Common Rule Delayed
- Streamlined application form
- Determination letters from the IRB regarding ceded review decisions
- After studies have been ceded, ability to update cede review applications to add new funding source or study team members
As a reminder, NIH issued a policy requiring single IRB review for multi-site research funded by NIH. The effective date for this policy was January 25, 2018. This policy applies only to studies where the same research protocol is conducted at all study sites. Multi-site studies currently ongoing will not need to comply with this policy until a competing renewal application is submitted. Guidance from NIH regarding key questions such as costs for single IRB review and what information about single IRB review needs to be included in grant applications and proposals is pending. Researchers are encouraged to contact the ED/SBS IRB Office with any questions regarding IRB oversight for collaborative and multi-site projects.
The ED/SBS IRB office offers an outreach/training curriculum throughout the year. We hold various training sessions tailored to a particular topic. The following are the trainings for Spring 2018:
- International Research & Summer Projects on February 7th at 10 a.m. in Lathrop Hall, Room B137
- Considerations for Qualitative Research, Research with Minors, and Research involving Technology on March 6th at 2 p.m. in Lathrop Hall, Room B137
- I Have IRB Approval - Now What? on April 5th at 10 a.m. in Lathrop Hall, Room B137
- For questions regarding a specific protocol, contact the assigned Staff Reviewer. Instructions for identifying the Staff Reviewer are located here.
- Drop-in hours are every Wednesday from 2:00-3:00 p.m. and Thursday from 10:00-11:00 a.m. The IRB staff are located on the 3rd floor of Lathrop Hall (take the west elevator or stairs).
- IRB staff have 12-month appointments and are available for meetings/consults year-round. Individual appointments can be scheduled throughout the week. Contact an IRB staff member to schedule an appointment. Contact information is available here.
- For questions about ARROW, email email@example.com.
- To schedule an Outreach Session for your class, department, or group to learn more about the IRB, visit the Outreach Sessions page of our website.
- The ED/SBS IRB Office KnowledgeBase is a great resource for researchers and includes FAQs, guidance documents, information for new researchers, and much more!