Active Directory - Remote Administration Tools
The Campus Active Directory Service prohibits Remote Desktop Connections to its domain controllers. Organizational Unit management is performed by using Microsoft's Server Administration Tools on a machine joined to the campus active directory domain.
Microsoft offers different releases of the Server Administration Tools, depending on what Windows version you are running. Please download and install the correct Administration Tools package for your distribution. The links include download and installation instructions.
|Windows Vista:||Microsoft Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows Vista|
|Windows 7:||Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 7|
|Mac OS X:||Remote administration tools unavailable for Mac OS X|
Group Policy Preference Client Side Extensions (Windows XP and Vista)
To accomodate new Group Policy settings in Windows Server 2008, Microsoft has released an update for Windows XP and Windows Vista computers. It is highly recommended that these updates are installed to ensure proper Group Policy application. They are available in the Recommended Updates section of Windows Update, or via direct download:
|Windows XP:||Group Policy Preference Client Side Extensions for Windows XP|
|Windows Vista:||Group Policy Preference Client Side Extensions for Windows Vista|
Installing Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows
You must be either a member of the Administrators group on the computer on which you want to install the Administration Tools pack, or you must be logged on to the computer by using the built-in Administrator account.
Important: Remove all versions of Administration Tools Pack or Remote Server Administration Tools from the computer before installing Remote Server Administration Tools.
Important: Only one copy of Remote Server Administration Tools can be installed on a computer at one time. Before you install a new package, remove any existing copies of Remote Server Administration Tools. This includes any copies that are in different languages. To remove existing copies of Remote Server Administration Tools, see Removing the Complete Remote Server Administration Tools.
Instructions to Install RSA Tools:
Download the Adminstration Tools package specific to your operating system in the links provided above within the Obtaining Microsoft Server Administration Tools section. This link will bring you to the Microsoft Download Center where your package will be available for download.
Open the folder into which the package downloaded, double-click the package to unpack it, and then start the Remote Server Administration Tools Setup Wizard.
Important: You must accept the License Terms and Limited Warranty to start to install the Administration Tools pack.
- Complete all installation steps in the wizard, and then click Finish to exit the wizard when installation is finished.
- Click Start , click Control Panel , and then click Programs.
- In the Programs and Features area, click Turn Windows features on or off.
- If you are prompted by User Account Control to enable the Windows Features dialog box to open, click Continue.
- In the Windows Features dialog box, expand Remote Server Administration Tools.
- Select the remote management tools that you want to install.
- Click Ok.
- Configure the Start menu to display the Administration Tools shortcut, if it is not already there.
- Right-click Start , and then click Properties.
- On the Start Menu tab, click Customize.
- In the Customize Start Menu dialog box, scroll down to System Administrative Tools , and then select Display on the All Programs menu and the Start menu.
- Click OK.
Shortcuts for snap-ins installed by Remote Server Administration Tools are added to the Administrative Tools list on the Start menu.
You must be either a member of the Administrators group on the computer from which you want to remove the Administration Tools pack, or you must be logged on to the computer by using the built-in Administrator account.
You can remove the complete Administration Tools pack from a computer by using the Uninstall a program utility in Control Panel.
- Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Uninstall a program in the Programs area.
- Click View installed updates.
- Select Update for Microsoft Windows (KB958830).
- Click Uninstall.