Advanced Content Authoring and Reporting - How to create interactive content in Pressbooks with H5P
This KB doc is for instructors who want to create interactive content in Pressbooks with H5P.
Creating content in Pressbooks is similar to using Microsoft Word. You can add text, images, and embedded videos, and you can also add interactive H5P content. If you would like to get started with some online resources, the Pressbooks user guide is a great resource. Pressbooks also has a collection of training & demonstration videos on YouTube.
Adding interactive H5P Activities to Pressbooks
H5P is an open-source plugin for Pressbooks, which allows for the authoring of interactive activities and quizzes. H5P.org is the main website for the community of H5P users and developers. If this is your first time working with H5P, please visit H5P's content authoring guide.
To add interactive activities, use the H5P plugin. To create a new H5P interactive module:
- Before making H5P content in a Pressbook, you will need to activate the H5P plugin by going to the Plugins page. From your Pressbooks dashboard, click on Plugins, and then click on Activate under the H5P entry.
- Now that you've activated H5P, click on the H5P Content menu option on the left.
- Click the Add new button at the top of the page.
- If it is the first time adding H5P content, you will see this message: "To be able to start creating interactive content you must first install at least one content type.
The H5P Hub is here to simplify this process by automatically installing the content types you choose and providing updates for those already installed."
Click the I consent, give me the Hub! button.
- Give your H5P module a name where it says “Enter title here.”
- Click the H5P “Select content type” drop-down menu to select the content type you would like to use. The first time you use a new content type, the menu option will say Get. You will first need to click Get and then Install. Once it is installed, you can click Use.
- Fill in the details on the H5P module. For example, if you create a multiple choice question, it will ask you to add the question, answer options, and click the checkbox to indicate which answer is correct. It is also recommended that you develop tips and feedback for each answer option. For more information on authoring with H5P, please refer to H5P's documentation.
- Check or uncheck the Display Options on the right depending on how you want the H5P module to function. Configurable options include:
- Display toolbar below content
- Display Download button
- Display Embed button
- Display Copyright button
- When you’re done configuring your H5P module, click the Create button on the right. Pressbooks will display a preview of your H5P module that you can test.
- Once you have created H5P content, return to the part of your Pressbook that you want to add it to.
- Click Dashboard on the left menu.
- Click the chapter of the book you want to add the H5P activity to. For example - click on Chapter 1.
into the place on the page where you want to place your H5P activity.
Click the Add H5P button in the Pressbooks editor to add H5P content to your Pressbook page:
An Insert interactive content window will open. Click the Insert button next to the H5P module you want to add to your page:
Editing H5P questions
- Click on the H5P Content menu option in the left navigation.
- Identify the question you want to edit by title or H5P ID.
- Click the Edit button next to the item you want to edit.
- Make the desired changes to the item.
- Click Update to save your changes.