Advanced Content Authoring and Reporting - How to export a Pressbook as a Thin Common Cartridge for use in Canvas
This document describes how an instructor can export Pressbooks in a format (Common Cartridge) for import into Canvas.
You can export a non-interactive version of your Pressbook in PDF
format. If you're using Pressbook plug-ins like H5P and want to embed it
in your Canvas course, you'll first export it as a
Common Cartridge (CC) file.
Prepare Pressbook chapters for Canvas
Before you export your Pressbook, consider how you want the content to appear in Canvas. Each Pressbooks chapter will import as a Canvas course module by default, and modules will not connect to the Canvas gradebook. You can create Canvas assignments and discussions by prefacing the name of a chapter with Discussion: or Assignment: .
Export Pressbook as a Common Cartridge file
- Click Organize → Organize to display a list of your Pressbook's chapters:
- Check the box under Export for all of the content you wish to bring into your Canvas course:
- Select Export → Export Common Cartridge:
- Click the Download Cartridge button and save the file locally:
- By default, the plugin will produce a Thin CC with LTI links, which will include all chapters in the book (including front and back matter) which have been selected for export.
- A reminder: The export can also create 'discussion' and 'assignment' activities from chapters in your book. To do this, the title of the chapter should be prefaced with 'Discussion:' or 'Assignment:', respectively.
Once you are done exporting the Thin Common Cartridge file, you will import it into your Canvas course by following the directions in Advanced Content Authoring and Reporting - Importing a Pressbooks Thin Common Cartridge file into your Canvas course .