CSIS - Import L3 Course Participants
This document includes directions on how to import L3 course participants in CSIS.
You may skip to the Notes section if needed, which contains additional information regarding this process.
1. There are two places that you can import course participants - either through the Directory tab or through the course itself.
- Directory Level: In the Directory - Individuals - Active tab of CSIS, click on Actions and then Import Tab-Delimited Text File.
- Course Level: Click on Actions and then Import Participants.
2. An import dialogue box will pop up asking you if you are sure you want to import participants. Click OK.
3. Next, you must choose the file you would like to import. Fill in the Batch Name and select the correct file, along with the type of file it is in the "Delimiting Character" section. Make sure "File includes header row" is checked as shown. Click Upload.
4. An import screen will pop up. Make sure the "Program Number" field is filled in with the correct course number and the box to its left is checked.
- Fill in the necessary credit types, making sure the boxes are checked for the fields you fill in. For example, this course has 21 CEUs, which is filled in on the form.
- Click Submit.
5. The imported file will transfer its information into the system. You must set all the column headings to match the information in the given field.
*Please note that First Name, Last Name, and Email are the minimum required fields for the import with L3 courses.*
- Looking at a single entry - example:
- First Name, Last Name, and Email headings are already there.
- Add column names for the next three columns by selecting the drop-down menu titled "Set Column Name..." and choosing Mailing Address 1, Mailing Address 2, and Mailing City accordingly.
- The next screenshot shows the entry scrolled to the right.
- You can see the column names for Mailing Address 1, Mailing Address 2, and Mailing City have now been added.
- Mailing State, Mailing Zip, and Program Number are also correctly labeled and just weren't visible in the last screenshot.
- Looking at multiple entries - example:
- Using the same procedure as the single entry, add column names by selecting the drop-down menu titled "Set Column Name..." and choosing the proper heading.
- The next screenshot shows the remaining columns scrolled to the right.
6. Towards the top of the screen where you can see the Batch Name, click on Actions to open a drop-down menu. Then click Import checked records.
7. The database will now start importing, which can be seen in the following screenshot.
8. You will have a completed import when the record switches to green with a check mark, which is shown below.
9. A dialogue box will pop up saying that the import is complete. You should review any errors or potential duplicates as the message says. Click Close.
- If someone is already a participant, they are not re-imported; there is an error message displayed that says duplicate registration.
- If the imported individual has an existing L3 PVI associated with their email from any L3 org, the imported record will be linked to the existing PVI and enrolled so they can use their existing NetID.
- The import will detect duplicates in the database and skip over them; a message is displayed afterwards with options.
- The database will only compare with what it already has, so if the imported record has a new address/email it might not catch the duplicate - any duplicates that are accidentally created can always be merged later.