InterPro - Technology Microsoft (MS) Teams
EPD uses Teams as a communication and collaboration tool. Teams are created for working groups to post status updates, to share info and resources, to ask questions, and to collaborate.
Web: Teams integrates with the UW Office 365 suite of tools. From the O365 Apps menu, access Teams.
Desktop: Within the Teams web interface, click Get app to download Teams Desktop application.
Mobile: Download on the App Store, Google Play, or Microsoft.
For all working teams, a Team leader will add you to the Team.
Settings & Notifications
To set availability status and adjust settings, go to your user account (via your image or initials in upper right).
Go to Settings > Notifications to determine if and how to be notified.
For more information, see InterPro - Technology Microsoft (MS) Teams - How to Manage Notifications and Keep Track of Things in Teams
Teams and Channels
Teams are the organized working groups. Every team has a General channel. The General channel is where the conversations take place. Post your message and/or reply within the General channel of the team you want to reach. Channel conversations can be seen by everyone on the team. If you don't see the General channel, click the team name.
• Arrange your teams in a useful order, putting priority teams at the top of the list.
• To manage channel notifications, go to the channel name, click More options > Channel Notifications.
• When there are unread messages and unseen activity in a team channel, the name appears bold.
• To see who's on a team, go to Team name > More options > Manage team
Post a message
Within the team channel, click reply to respond to an existing thread or go to the compose box at the bottom of the screen to start a new one. Type your message and click the send button or press return.
• @mention an individual on the team: Use an @mention to target your communication to a specific person. Type @ and select the person's name from the menu that appears. A notification will go to the individual.
• @mention the entire team: To notify everyone on the team, type @[team name]. A notification will go to everyone on the team.
• Like: Acknowledge that you read a message by clicking the thumbs up icon of a post. It turns purple when you like it. Hover over the thumb to see who else has liked the post.
• #: Include #hashtags to label your message with search terms. Note that the #hashtags in Teams are not linked, but are searchable.
• More options: to edit and delete your own posts, and to mark others' posts as unread.
• Bookmark: to save a post for quick reference within your user account settings > Saved.
• To make a team 'announcement', use the format tool to provide a subject, and click the exclamation point to mark it as important. Keyboard shortcut: Tab + return puts you into format mode.
• You can copy and paste images into a message.
Activity displays a summary of everything that's happened in your teams. A red circle appears next to Activity when you have a notification, such as an @mention or a reply. You can see a preview of this activity within the Activity feed. When you click a preview within the Activity feed, it takes you to the full conversation within the appropriate team channel.
• Filter Activity using the filter iconand selecting the type of filter to apply.
• Toggle between team and personal activity using the Feed dropdown.
• For Desktop, another way to check notifications is to use the command box at the top of Teams. Type /unread to see your unread channel notifications.Type /mentions to see all your @mentions.
In the search box at the top, type a keyword or command and press enter. Search covers all of your teams.
Search results are organized by messages, people, and files.
Click the filter button for advanced search options.
Use the search box at the top to execute commands. For example, type /away in the search box, to set your status as Away.Type /keys to see a list of all key commands in Teams.
Use Chat to send private messages. Only the people in the chat can see the messages. Learn more about How to start a Chat in Teams.