How to Add a New Academic Unit to the L3* Process
UW-Madison academic programs that need to use the campus LMS (currently Canvas) for non-timetable lifelong-learning purposes (also sometimes called "noncredit programs") may choose to use the "L3 process" which automatically ensures that every registrant for your program can access your learning materials in the campus LMS (Canvas). Canvas may be used by any UW-Madison program; no special agreement is required regardless of what type of credential/credit your program offers or does not offer.
- Either issues the learner a UW-Madison NetID or verifies that the learner's existing NetID is ready to be used.
- Adds this learner to the appropriate course-site roster(s) in the campus LMS.
- Directs the learner to the campus LMS to begin accessing the course website(s).
Required Steps to Get Started
- Do you need a registration system (such as for handling payments, reporting, customer service, etc)?
- No: You may not need a registration system if you will always be manually uploading your lists (spreadsheets) of participants who need Canvas access, or manually adding single participants who need Canvas access.
- Yes: Establish or verify a business relationship between the academic unit and the registration system.
- The Conference Centers Registration Services is the main UW-Madison registration system that has integrated their registration system - called "USI" - with the L3 process. Others have been integrated at the request and expense of other campus units.
- Optional: Identify a "Canvas subaccount administrator" within your unit or School/College who can occasionally help your staff with Canvas administration when necessary. Note that DoIT requires an annual re-certification process for all Canvas subaccount administrators (consisting of passing an online Canvas knowledge test).
- To become a Canvas subaccount administrator, see: Canvas - Account Roles and Permissions [UW-Madison]
- It may be simpler to delay this request until you have made it to step 4 below, in case your Canvas subaccount will not even exist until then. (See explanation in Step 3 next).
- Contact CSIS support at firstname.lastname@example.org to create a CSIS ("Continuing Studies Information System") instance for the new academic unit. Support documents for CSIS are hosted here: https://kb.wisc.edu/csis/ with the L3-specific parts described here: How to Use the LMS Spaces Tab.
- In your request to CSIS support, specify:
- Names and NetIDs of staff in your unit who will be CSIS users, and which of those should have CSIS administrator privileges.
- Names and email addresses of relevant representatives from your academic unit to add to the the email@example.com email distribution list, so that you will be contacted with any issues/news/questions in the future related to using the L3 process.
- The first time you do step #4 below, CSIS will automatically create a new Canvas "Subaccount" that contains all of your future LMS spaces (and no one else's). Therefore be sure to also specify in your request:
- The academic-unit name you want displayed in Canvas to your staff and your learners as the folder in which all of your courses are found.
- In Canvas the letters "L3" will be added to the beginning of your Canvas subaccount name. However, your Canvas Subaccount Administrator (or the Lifelong Learning parent Subaccount Administrator or a campus-level Canvas administrator) can manually rename that category at any point in the future.
- A commonly used short abbreviation or acronym for your unit. DoIT may contact you for other options if a different name is needed.
- In your request to CSIS support, specify:
- Set up the individual lifelong-learning programs (conventionally called "courses") in your registration system (usually USI) and CSIS. The CSIS part of the process will automatically create your empty Canvas course shell. See NCPD - CSIS - LMS Spaces - How to Create and Disassociate
- Specify phone and e-mail contact information that DoIT Help Desk can include on their internal KB doc #67129. When HelpDesk agents need to redirect a learner to your unit for help, they will provide this contact information to the learner. Send this contact information to CSIS Support firstname.lastname@example.org who can ask that it be added to document #67129.