L&S Short-term Staffing Plans
This document contains the request form for short-term staffing (STS) along with detailed instructions and deadlines.
Documents & Deadlines
- Short-term Staff Planning Spreadsheet
- Deadlines for 2021-22 academic year:
- Fall 2021: March 5, 2021
- Spring 2022: TBD
- Submit the spreadsheet via Box
- Naming convention: Yourdepartmentname_STS Plans 2021-22
- Box: Submit in the departmental Teaching & Learning Admin folder, STS subfolder ("48-##00 STS").
- If you do not have Box access, email your request to Amanda Mahr (backup: Laura Fisk)
- STS requests will be reviewed on a rolling basis; approvals will be sent via the STS folder in Box.
Short-Term Staffing positions require approval through this process, even if the funding source of the STS is secure (e.g., Honors, FIGS, etc.). This is necessary because STS plans will be reviewed as a part of a department’s overall instructional strategy and for technical reasons (e.g., percentage of appointment, title). 'STS' may refer to several titles, including Associate Lecturer, Lecturer (SA), Faculty Associate, Visiting Faculty, L/I faculty, Emeritus Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, and temporary increases to renewable instructional staff.
This spreadsheet is used to request new STS positions. Approved STS positions do not need to be included on this document.
- Update the worksheet with basic details at the top (department name, your name, etc.).
- For each short-term staff position, list the course details (name/number, along with credit range, planned capacity, and instruction mode). These details should be specific to the instructor's section (e.g., if there are multiple sections being offered, only list the expected enrollment and number of TAs supervised for the STS-taught section). These details will be used in determining the STS appointment level.
- List the anticipated title along with the expected appointment percentage.
- The estimated salary will calculate based on the Title, Timeframe and Appt % fields. This calculation assumes the salary is nine-month/C-Basis. Salaries for A-Basis appointments, or ‘Other’ timeframes will need to be manually calculated (using a tool like FLOAT) and entered in the ‘Est. Salary’ column. The ‘Est. Salary’ column is not locked against editing.
- Use the 'Notes' page to provide details on STS who will teach multiple courses (e.g., Visiting Faculty).
- Funding . The spreadsheet is pre-populated with common STS funding sources (STS 101 Budget, Summer Revenue). Update or add funding sources to this table as necessary.
- STS Titles & Rates . Similar to funding, the sheet is pre-populated with some common titles and rates. Please add titles and/or modify the rates as necessary with the expected titles/rates. Common appointment percentages are listed below. Standard salary rates for short-term staff in L&S are listed on the Gateway.
3. Summary – Funding. This page is informational only, and will display estimated salary costs by funding type. Again, this is dependent on the values listed on the ‘Dept Details’ worksheet. No data entry is needed on this page.
4. Calculations. This page is informational only, and displays the spreadsheet's automated salary calculations.
101 Funded STS
Funding line for most 101 funded STS and readers: 101-A48##04, where '##' is the department number from your unit's UDDS.
If your department is receiving one-time support on fund 101 from sources such as FIGs, Honors, Other Schools/Colleges, etc., these credits will be itemized on your STS budget sheet. You are strongly encouraged to review your STS budget sheet to understand the fiscal implications of your plan. Please contact Assistant Dean Mary Beth Roberts with questions regarding your STS budget sheet on the BSR.
Approvals and Next Steps
STS requests will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Approvals will be communicated via the STS folder in Box (“48-#### STS”). Departments/Programs may begin to work with their STS/SA HR Rep on PVLs and offer letters once they receive STS approval.
If additional positions are needed, please submit a new STS Planning Spreadsheet and update the Teaching Report.
Any changes or cancellations of approved STS positions should be communicated to via email to Amanda Mahr (backup: Laura Fisk). To change an approved position, please provide the following information:
- Brief explanation/justification of the change
- Course number & name
- Credit range
- Expected enrollment
- Number of TAs supervised (headcount)
- Instruction mode
- Funding source
Contacts for L&S Administration
- L&S Teaching & Learning Administration: Amanda Mahr, Instructional Planning Coordinator
- (608) 263-8873
- Backup: Laura Fisk
- L&S Human Resources
- L&S Budget Office: Mary Beth Roberts, Assistant Dean