Services - Trade-In Program (Encore)
This document outlines the trade-in program offered by the DoIT Tech Store through our partnership with Encore.
Program DescriptionStudents, faculty and staff at UW-Madison can trade in their personally-owned, eligible devices to receive a Tech Store gift card that they can put towards their purchases. The amount of money that is offered depends on the type, age, and condition of the device. Trade-ins can be initiated in-store, or at the website for this program: https://doit.tradeitin.net/
- This program is limited to UW-Madison students, faculty and staff.
- Devices must be personally-owned. Departmental devices cannot be accepted.
- Find My iPhone must be turned off where applicable
- Trade-ins are final and irreversible
Trade-In ProcessThe trade-in process can be started online at https://doit.tradeitin.net/; this will save some time versus beginning the process in the store.
- Follow the steps on the website to identify the device. Once the device has been identified, the page will indicate what trade-in value may be available
- Select the condition of the device. Be honest! If our inspection of the device finds an incorrect condition, it will have to be corrected by creating a new trade-in order.
- Indicate whether the original power adapter for the device will be included (if applicable).
- Click the "Trade In This Item" button.
- On the next page, click "In Store" to indicate the trade-in will be processed at the Tech Store
- You can add another device at this point, or proceed to the next step.
- Enter your name and email address, and serial number of the device. Verify the condition and ownership of the device and click "Submit" to generate the trade-in order.
- You will receive an email and a reservation number. Bring the device to the Tech Store along with the reservation number.
- At the Tech Store we will need to run a brief set of functionality tests to confirm the condition of the device. If this matches the condition specified earlier we will proceed, otherwise a new trade-in order with the correct condition will need to be created.
- We will provide a form to sign to confirm that the device is personally-owned, that all data will be erased by Encore (the company we partner with) and that we cannot reverse the trade-in once it is complete. We will need to verify your identity against a photo ID.
- A gift card for the Tech Store will be issued for amount specified by the trade-in order, based on the type, age, and condition of the device.