MFA Setup- Smart Phone
How to instructions to set up MFA.
In order to sign up, you need a computer AND your cell phone or tablet. Please use your computer for Step 1 -- it avoids some pitfalls that may crop up if the device being setup is used.
Step 1. From your computer:
1. Open a web browser and open the page: https://mynetid.wisc.edu/duo-portal/ (MFA Management Page). You will be prompted to log in with your NetID.
2. Click on "Register Smartphone or Tablet"
3. Click "Start Setup"
4. Select "Mobile Phone" or "Tablet" and click "continue"
5. Enter your cell phone number.
6. Verify this is the correct number checking the box. Press "Continue."
7. Select your type of phone
At this point in the process, switch to your cell phone or tabled to complete Step 2 before continuing with the setup on your computer.
Step 2. From your cell phone
1. In your phone App store or Google Play store, search on "Duo Mobile, ", install it and if asked, allow the app to access your camera and receive notifications. This is a free app. If it asks for payment, look for an option to "skip" payment.
2. Open the Duo app on your phone
3. click the option “Get Started” (NOT the "Get my account back" option) within the app on your phone.
4. Tap the "Add Account" or Plus Sign button. The app will have activated your camera and is now looking for a barcode to scan.
Step 3. Using both devices...
1. Go back to the computer, click “I have Duo Mobile Installed” button
2. Click the continue button. This will generate a barcode on your screen.
3. Pick up your phone (recall that your camera was activated in the step above) and hold it up to the screen so that it will focus on and then capture the QR code on your computer screen . It may freeze for a second or two.
You should then see an "enrollment successful message."
When you have printer access (eg in your home or office), it is highly recommended to print out Backup Codes. These can be used in lieu of your device when your device is not available. Keep these codes somewhere convenient in your office.
Final Step: Backup passcodes
1. It is one of the last options on https://mynetid.wisc.edu/duo-portal/, note: this step requires access to a printer. These passcodes will be good for 4 months. Each code is single use.
At this point, whenever you use a NetID web service, you will need to have your phone available to receive a Duo Push to your cell phone.