Kaltura Capture - Installation
Kaltura Capture is screen and webcam recording software for Windows and macOS. It is a good fit for doing shorter recordings (4-6 min) which can be done in one take and don't require much editing. This document describes the system requirements for Kaltura Capture and how to install it.
- This document focuses on Kaltura Capture, which is a good capture solution for most uses. For a more advanced tool, try TechSmith Camtasia. It offers a few more editing options than Kaltura Capture, which can help instructors and staff who make longer recordings.
- Users who want to record slideshows with audio narration can also use Powerpoint (More instructions for: Windows, Mac).
- Powerpoint allows you to more easily update narrated slideshows by allowing users to re-record audio for individual slides and export the presentation as an MP4.
- Kaltura Capture (or Camtasia) is intended for recording yourself using software or guiding your viewer through a website, etc. - something beyond narrated Powerpoint slides.
- Detailed information on the requirements is available on Kaltura's document Kaltura Capture - Prerequisites and System Requirements.
- We recommend at minimum 1 Mbps upload speed to upload files to Kaltura MediaSpace. Search speed test on Google to load their speed test utility.
Additional information on installing Kaltura Capture is also available in Kaltura's document Kaltura Capture - Installing and Launching the Application.
Installing Kaltura Capture
Dr. Muehlenhaus has recorded a number of short, helpful videos on installing Kaltura Capture from a faculty perspective which he has let us share.
Installing Kaltura Capture on Windows screencast (2 min, 20 sec)
Installing Kaltura Capture on Mac OSX screencast (2 min, 28 sec)
Installing Kaltura Capture step-by-step directions
- Launch Chrome or Firefox and go to Kaltura MediaSpace: mediaspace.wisc.edu. If you need more information on how to log in to MediaSpace please see Kaltura - How to Log in to Kaltura MediaSpace (UW-Madison) .
- Click Add New → Kaltura Capture:
- A new window will display which says “The Kaltura Capture Desktop Recorder”. Near the bottom text reads “Using Kaltura Capture for the first time?” with links for both the Windows installer and the Mac installer. Click the link for the installer you want to use:
- Once the installer is downloaded, find the downloaded file.
- In Windows double click the installer file to launch the installer. Follow the prompts to complete the installation.
- In OSX drag the Personal Capture icon to the Applications folder of your machine.
Mac OSX Catalina (10.15) requires additional permissions to run Kaltura Capture successfully. To run Kaltura Capture, change the following settings:
System Preferences → Security & Privacy → General → (unlock the padlock) → Choose App Store and identified developers → (lock the padlock)
System Preferences → Security & Privacy → Privacy → (unlock the padlock) → Choose Camera → Check KalturaCapture (repeat this process for Microphone and Screen Recording) > (lock the padlock).
- Once it is installed you can launch it via two different methods:
- You can go back to mediaspace.wisc.edu and select Add New → Kaltura Capture and it will launch the app, or:
- You can launch it from your programs or applications menu in Windows or OSX.