UW-Madison G Suite - Transition from WiscList to Google Groups
Completing this will change the list for everyone so make sure you have discussed this with other administrators and reached a consensus on when to migrate before proceeding.
Step 1: Go to the management page for the list you would like to migrate on the WiscList Admin site: https://admin.lists.wisc.edu
Step 2: Click the 'Validate Email Addresses' button in the yellow box at the top. This will check for emails it won't migrate and provide one of 3 reasons
- 'Alternate of another email address' EG. firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com are one in the same so it will return an error for firstname.lastname@example.org if both are present
- 'Invalid email address' EG. email@example.com will error as doit.edu isn't configured to receive mail.
- 'Invalid UW-Madison G Suite email address' EG. firstname.lastname@example.org is misspelled and an email address we don't recognize in a domain we host so it won't be migrated.
Step 3: Review email addresses that won't be migrated and fix any you would like to be migrated automatically.
Step 4: Click the 'Migrate List to Google Group' button to:
- Create a Google Group with the same name and security/moderation settings
- Copy all administrators and members to the Google Group excluding the ones who failed validation above
- Internal members will have their email addresses converted to their email@example.com address and will continue to accept mail from alternate addresses
- External members will not have their name present in Google Groups.