Canvas - Status of the Syllabus Tool at UW-Madison
The native Canvas Syllabus tool is no longer supported at UW-Madison and instructors are encouraged to use Course Summary instead. Course Summary retains much of the functionality of the native Syllabus, but it cannot be set as a course home page.
Syllabus Error Message
The Syllabus navigation link has been removed from all UW-Madison courses. However, students and instructors can still access the Syllabus if:
- The Syllabus was set as the course home page.
- The course contains direct links to the Syllabus (i.e. users have access to the URL).
In these scenarios, you will see a warning banner stating "This tool is deprecated. Please use the Course Summary tool." .
How to Create a New Home Page and Link to Course Summary
If your course had used the Syllabus as a home page, consider creating a new homepage and linking to your Course Summary.
- Create a new Canvas page.
- Add introductory content to the page and provide a link to the Course Summary. Note that the Course Summary will not appear in the right toolbar for internal links, so you will need to add it as a hyperlink.
- Set your new Canvas page as your Front Page.
- Go to Settings and set your course home page to Pages Front Page.