Microsoft Teams - Decluttering (Editing/deleting chats, hiding chat straings, channels, and teams)
Decluttering in Teams (Editing/Deleting chats, hiding chat strains, channels, and teams)
How to declutter Microsoft Teams.
- Navigate to the message you want to edit.
- Hover over the message, click the three dots that pop up, and click edit.
- Here you are able to completely edit your chat.
- To submit your edited chat, click the check mark.
- To discard your edit, click the “X” (this will keep your message the same as before you began to edit it).
- Edited chats will simply say “Edited” above it in the chat.
In Teams you can only delete your own messages, you cannot delete others'.
- Navigate to the message you want to delete.
- Hover over the message, click the three dots that pop up, and click delete.
- A message will pop up confirming that the message was deleted.
- For a brief period of time, you are able to undo that action and restore the message.
- Everyone else in the chat does not see any indication that the chat was deleted, other than the message disappearing from the chat feed.
- On other users’ messages, you are only able to mark the message as unread, copy a link, or use the immersive reader. You are not able to delete other users’ chat messages.
Hiding chat strains
In Teams, you’re not able to delete a chat strain with someone. You are, however, able to hide a chat strain, which will act as a temporary deletion of the chat (without deleting any of the messages).
- Navigate to the “Chat” tab and find the chat strain you want to hide.
- Hover over the chat strain and click the three dots next to the chat that pops up. Click “Hide” to hide the chat strain.
- To restore the chat/continue chatting, search for that user’s name in the search bar and click on their name.
- This effectively “restores” the chat strain to your feed and keeps all old messages.
The purpose of hiding channels or teams is to declutter your Team feed, as to only show the channels and teams that are important to you/that you actively participate in. Hiding channels and teams will not delete the channel/team, but simply “tuck them away”. Hiding teams/channels does not affect the notifications you get regarding these teams and channels.
- Navigate to the teams page and find the team you want to hide.
- Click on the three dots next to the team you want to hide and click hide.
- After hiding a team, it will appear under the “Hidden teams” folder at the bottom of the teams page
- Clicking on “Hidden teams” will show a list of all hidden teams.
- To stop hiding a team and show that team in your normal team feed, click the three dots next to the team and click “show”.
- To hide a channel, navigate to the team in which the channel is located and click the dots next to the channel you want to hide, and click hide.
- Now the channel will appear as a hidden channel; within that specific team.
- To show hidden channels, hover over the hidden channel text and click the arrow.
- This shows any hidden channels for that team.
- Click “show” next to any channels you want to appear visible within that specific team.
- Afterwards the channel will appear as it once was, directly visible within that specific team.