HS IRBs News August 2019
Health Sciences and Minimal Risk IRBs, IRB News/Volume 11, Number 7, August 2019
Improving IRB Review Processes for Funding: Revisions and Changes to ICTR SRC Review Requirements for Studies with Pending Funding
Effective October 4th, two significant improvements to funding-related review processes are being made:
- Funding pages in the ARROW application are being streamlined and simplified to reduce administrative burden for researchers as well as improve efficiency in the IRB review process.
- ICTR Scientific Review Committee (ICTR SRC) review requirements are being relaxed to allow study teams greater flexibility on when to submit their IRB application when they have funding that is pending, but not yet awarded.
Please see this FAQ for details on these important improvements.
HS IRBs Office Staff Updates and Coverage Plans
Over the summer, two of our staff members – Corrie Burmeister and Faye Lux – moved on to other opportunities on campus. While we work on filling these positions, other HS IRBs staff are providing coverage for key areas as follows:
- Funding and fee questions: Email email@example.com or call our main line (608.263.2362)
- Invoice questions: Email Lynn Haynes (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- IRB submission manager questions for regular (not ceded) applications: Email email@example.com or call our main line (608.263.2362)
- Ceded application questions: Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Upcoming Training Sessions
- “Understanding the Common Rule and the HS IRBs Submission Process” covers the Common Rule and what the IRB is looking for in their review, the IRB's review process, how to navigate the ARROW application system, and resources available to assist researchers with their submissions. The next presentation will be Wednesday, October 9th from 1PM to 2PM in room 1309 of the Health Sciences Learning Center. Please register through the online catalog and look for this session under the Health Sciences IRBs category.
The Professional Research Education Program (PREP) also will be offering the following sessions:
- “Study Recruitment: What Do ‘Real People’ Recommend” will be held September 12th from Noon-1PM in 1335 HSLC.
- “Study Initiation – Using the Clinical Research Infrastructure and Resources” will be held September 24th from 11AM-Noon in 1335 HSLC.
Reminder: Grant Congruency Review Changes
Effective August 3rd, the IRB offices on campus are no longer reviewing grants for congruency with the IRB application. Recent revisions to the Common Rule no longer require IRBs to review grants for congruency and OVCRGE leadership is leveraging this change to begin streamlining the IRBs’ funding review process. Instead of the IRB assessing congruency, new tools in WISPR and ARROW will allow principal investigators (PIs) to confirm congruency with minimal effort on their part. Please see this FAQ for details about this streamlined approach to funding reviews.