L&S Faculty Recruitment Process
This document is regarding the L&S faculty recruitment process.
Faculty staffing is one of the most important activities of a department. Recruitment and personnel management activities are crucial to a department's health and morale, and warrant close attention form the chair.
1. Request Permission to recruit. Requests should be sent to the Academic Associate Dean assigned to the department. Request must include a rationale for the position(s) sought and how the position will be funded. Academic Associate Dean will present the request to the Dean.
2. Assemble Search & Screen Committee. The search committee chair/director or a member of the search committee who has not participated in the WISELI training sessions within the past three years should register to attend this training. Per L&S instruction, if all members of the committee have attended within the past three years, then please register another faculty member of your department who has not yet had the opportunity to attend.
3. Once position is approved by the Dean, Department must submit a PVL via the JEMS PVL System. When drafting the PVL, two helpful documents are the following: from International Faculty and Staff Services (IFSS) is Visa and Permanent Residency Best Practices; from WISELI is WISELI PVL Advice. Once PVL is department approved, PVLs will be reviewed by L&S HR and then submitted to campus OHR for their review and approval. You will receive an email from the PVL System as soon as your PVL is “Comp and Title Approved.” Once your PVL is approved, you will need to login to TREMS to create a job posting in order for the position to be released on UW Jobs website for open recruitment. You will need to approve the TREMS posting to A48, with Ben Weisse as approver.
4. Approximately 3 days after the position is posted on the UW Jobs website , it will automatically post to the Chronicle job posting site. Once it is posted to this site, go to the posting on the site, print, and save a copy of this posting in case it is needed for visa/permanent residency filing.
5. As applications are reviewed, keep in mind WISELI’s Research on Bias and Assumptions. Once reviewed, keep TREMS current by tracking candidate progress, including which candidates do not meet the minimum requirements and which candidates are selected for interviews.
6. When an applicant has been selected for hire, please see: L&S Faculty Hiring Procedure (this is still a work in progress--contact Assistant Dean Ben Weisse with further questions).
7. Please note that the recruitment file is the responsibility of the departmental administrative contact. Search committee chairs need to work closely with this person to make sure the recruitment file is complete.
Talent Recruitment and Engagement Toolkit (sample communication letters, advertising agreements, procedures after hire, etc.)
***Specific questions regarding the faculty recruitment process can be directed to: Assistant Dean Ben Weisse email@example.com