LastPass - How to create an account for UW work related activities
This document details how to create an enterprise LastPass account for work related activities.
To create a work based LastPass account please follow these steps:
- If you only have a Duo fob, not the app, you will need to contact the HelpDesk for activation. We cannot automatically activate Duo fob users at this time.
- Open a fresh browser or open a new incognito window on the browser you are already using.
- Go to https://wiscmail.wisc.edu/admin/index.php?action=home and log in with your NetID, password, and Duo if you have not already logged in. When you are logged in you will see this screen.
- Click on LastPass then on Status.
- In the Status window on the right side, click on Enable.
- This action will generate an email invitation to your wisc.edu email address which you can use to log in to LastPass. The email will look like this:
- Open the email you receive from LastPass, click Activate LastPass. This will take you to the LastPass website in a browser. Copy and paste the activation code in the Activation code box and create a strong and memorable password for your new Master Password. This cannot be your NetID password. Make sure you write down the passphrase or it is something you are sure to remember as the Master Password cannot be reset and your LastPass data will be lost if you forget the Master Password.
Notes - When you hit continue a Duo push will go to your phone. This will not be indicated on the screen unless it fails.
If the process hangs on this step try a different browser.
- After you create your account login to the account at https://lastpass.com
- If you get a pop-up asking for your Duo Security username use your firstname.lastname@example.org. You will only get this pop-up the first time you log into the account. After this linking you will need to use Duo to verify your logins to LastPass.
- To get the most out of LastPass, install the browser extension and sign-in to the extension in your browser.
- Your account is now set-up and you can start adding sites and passwords to LastPass.
- We strongly recommend setting a recovery phone number and an emergency email account.