Request to offer an online or hybrid undergraduate course during the academic year
Departments must request approval to schedule undergraduate course section in an online or hybrid format, the procedure is below.
February 26, 2021: Deadline for L&S departments must submit requests to teach Fall 2021 undergraduate class sections as online or hybrid.
How to Submit a Request
Please refer to L&S Policy on Offering Undergraduate Class Sections with Online or Hybrid Modality for policy information and L&S undergraduate courses approved to be offered online or hybrid in Fall or Spring semesters to see if the course is already approved to be offered in online or hybrid mode.
To request permission to offer an undergraduate class section as online or hybrid during the fall/spring semester, departments must:
(1) Gather proposal materials:
- a completed proposal to teach the course online or hybrid
- a syllabus that reflects the online/hybrid instructional mode and meets
campus syllabus guidelines
- a link to the CANVAS course if that has been created; otherwise,
documentation of the course design, digital materials, and student
experience by providing a completed course map and rhythm document.
- [waived for Fall 2021 requests] submit a Lumen Course proposal to add course learning outcomes to our systems (if this has not yet been done). The proposal materials must be reviewed and approved by the department.
Special Note-1: Less Commonly Taught Languages (LCTL) online courses shared with BTAA institutions will receive expedited review; contact Zach McLeod for additional information.
Special Note-2: Given the variable nature of topics courses, they cannot be permanently approved to be offered online. However, departments may request permission to teach any individual topic title online through this process. Approval will be specific to the term and topic title.
Review of proposals
**UPDATE for Fall 2021 requests: Given the need for a very short review turnaround for Fall 2021, L&S Curriculum Committee review will not be required. Requests will be administratively reviewed and approved by L&S Teaching & Learning.
As is practice for current course proposals, requests to offer courses online will be administratively reviewed before they are forwarded to the L&S Curriculum Committee. In this case, administrative review will include LSS staff and have the additional focus of:
- Whether the student enrollments are likely to include first and second
- If students are required to take the online version to complete a requirement
- Review of the instructional design of the course, to ensure it is aligned with current practices in online education
Generally speaking, an approval to offer a course online rolls forward automatically each semester. However, if a course’s content, design, enrollment or audience changes substantially, or if an issue is identified through regular L&S Admin monitoring, the L&S Curriculum Committee may require another review.
Undergraduate Courses approved to be offered online or hybrid
Please see L&S undergraduate courses approved to be offered online or hybrid in Fall or Spring semesters. For additional questions, please contact Shirin Malekpour, Associate Dean of Teaching and Learning (L&S) at email@example.com.
For additional questions, please contact Shirin Malekpour, Associate Dean of Teaching and Learning (L&S) at firstname.lastname@example.org.