Kaltura/Canvas - Known Issue - Kaltura Media displays "API Error" when trying to access Kaltura media in Canvas
This issue describes the conditions around which a user may experience an API error when trying to access their Kaltura media inside Canvas.
This affects any user who has had media which another user assigned them only "Co-Viewer" rights (not "Co-Publisher" or "Co-Editor" as well) and who then tries to access their Kaltura Media inside the Canvas rich content editor. The user will experience an API Error rather than seeing their Kaltura media display:
As of 10/29/19 this issue still exists. Learn@UW-Madison has reported the issue to Kaltura.
There are currently three workarounds while waiting for Kaltura to fix this issue:
Ask the user who only assigned you Co-Viewer rights to give you Co-Editor and Co-Publisher rights to the media entry for which they gave you Co-Viewer rights:
- If you're not sure what media entry you may have been given only co-viewer rights to, log into Kaltura MediaSpace.
- Click your username in the upper right and select My Media.
- Click the Filters button.
- Under Ownership click the checkbox for Media I can View. Kaltura MediaSpace will display media for which you've been given "Co-Viewer" rights. You can also click on each media entry to see the owner. If you know who owns the media you can then contact them to request they give you "Co-Editor" and "Co-Publisher" rights.
- Contact the DoIT Help Desk to submit a ticket on this issue.
- Describe the issue and make reference to this KB doc (#95089). The Help Desk will ask to document various relevant information (your operating system, browser, Canvas course, etc.).
- Ask for escalation to the Learn@UW-Madison team.
- The Learn@UW-Madison team will work with you and Kaltura to identify the media entry for which you were given "Co-Viewer" rights to either remove them or give you additional rights depending on the circumstances in order to give you access to Kaltura media inside Canvas again.
- Follow Kaltura - How to get a link or embed code to a video in MediaSpace (UW-Madison) in order to copy iframe embed code for a media entry in Kaltura MediaSpace.
- Follow Instructure's guide How do I embed iFrame videos using the Rich Content Editor as an instructor? to embed your Kaltura video into a Canvas.