Academic Staff Executive Minutes 1-23-20

Approved 1/30/20

ASEC Minutes
1:30 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, January 23, 2020
53 Bascom Hall

Members Present: Donna Cole; Tim Dalby, chair; Stephanie Elkins; Mallory Musolf; Leslie Petty; Deb Shapiro; Lindsey Stoddard Cameron; Bill Tishler

Guests: Beth Baldwin, Jaimee Gilford, Barb Lanser, Tim Markle, Ruben Mota, Karl Scholz, 
Sara Scott, Jake Smith

The meeting was called to order at 1:35 p.m.

The minutes of January 9, 2020 were approved with one correction.

Business
Policy Library Discussion
ASEC discussed the draft charge for a working group that would develop university-wide policy guidelines to match current practice. There are two academic staff seats on this working group. Motion to nominate Nicole Senter from the Personnel Policies and Procedures Committee and Bill Tishler from ASEC for the two seats (Cole). Seconded. Approved. ASEC suggested the addition of another student to represent graduate students and to add wording to make it clear that the working group will be documenting current practices and not creating new ones.
Teaching/Research Professor Guidelines Discussion
ASEC did not have any substantial feedback on the research professor guidelines. ASEC had a long discussion about the teaching professor with each person sharing their opinions. Of importance to ASEC was defining what excellence in teaching is. They felt that the bar for entry into the assistant title should be lower in that independence wouldn’t be needed at that point, but did not feel that the document articulated what is expected for promotion to associate and full. It was also discussed that the need for faculty to see teaching professors as peers was very important. 

Guest: Karl Scholz, Provost
ASEC walked Provost Scholz through their discussion about the teaching professor. Provost Scholz agreed to form a small committee if the University Committee was amenable of two academic staff and two faculty members as well as possibly Michael Bernard-Donals and Steve Cramer to work on final wording for the guidelines. Mallory Musolf and Deb Shapiro agreed to serve on this group.

General Reports
Tim Dalby, ASEC chair, has been visiting with ASEC members. Terry Warfield, chair of the University Committee, has worked to put together meetings this spring of the shared governance chairs. 

Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff, reminded ASEC that spring Assembly meetings will be held in B10 Ingraham Hall. That is the building right next to Bascom. There is not enough room on the stage or in front of the stage for ASEC to sit facing the Assembly so they should sit in the front row. Heather also reported on the transition for the office as she takes a new position as Secretary of the Faculty. She is working with Jake to make sure there will be a smooth transition. She will report to ASEC on any substantial developments including the appointment of an interim. 

Deb Shapiro reported that the Librarian’s Assembly received a report on the consolidation of libraries project. No staff has been laid off as a result of the project.

Motion to Convene in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to Discuss the Nominating Slate and Nomination to the Academic Staff Appeals Committee. (Stoddard Cameron). Seconded. Approved.

Motion to Convene in Open Session. (Petty). Seconded. Approved.

Business
Nomination
Motion to nominate Christopher Chambers to the Academic Staff Appeals Committee (Cole). Seconded. Approved.
Staff Diversity Discussion
Stephanie, Leslie and Donna will draft a charge for the group. They plan to have the charge ready by the end of February. There was a discussion about how to populate the committee. 
Selecting Committee Representatives
Donna and Mallory will work on documenting and refining the process ASEC uses to select candidates for open positions. They will report back to ASEC after the February Assembly meeting.
February Assembly Agenda
ASEC reviewed the agenda. There will be two voting items: a resolution on emergency numbers on wiscards and a motion to rescind a resolution about district representation to handle changes in TTC. The resolution is no longer needed due to the change in the go-live date.
Topics for Chancellor
Updates on campus addressing HIB for graduate students
Online Undergraduate Program Planning
Legislative Update
Meeting adjourned at 4:38 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff




Keywords:ASEC Minutes   Doc ID:97581
Owner:Jake S.Group:Office of the Secretary/ Academic Staff
Created:2020-02-03 16:12 CDTUpdated:2020-07-13 11:16 CDT
Sites:Office of the Secretary/ Academic Staff
Feedback:  0   0