Canvas - Linking to a Kaltura video from a Canvas course module
This document describes how instructors can link to a Kaltura video from within a Canvas course module.
Generally we recommend instructors embed Kaltura media in a Page or other Canvas item
when possible as described in Canvas - How to upload and embed a video in Canvas using Embed Kaltura Media .
Linking out to Kaltura media from a Canvas course is not recommended because:
- It's more work than embedding Kaltura media in Canvas.
- It requires students to leave Canvas.
- It's not possible for instructors to use the Canvas Student View function to tell if their students will be able to see the media because it sends the students outside Canvas.
- It can introduce access issues if publishing settings aren't set
correctly. Publishing settings require making the video public. Links to "unlisetd" media are also copy and shareable without the additional work of creating a channel.
- Launch Chrome or Firefox and go to Kaltura MediaSpace: mediaspace.wisc.edu. If you need more information on how to log in to MediaSpace please see Kaltura - How to Log in to Kaltura MediaSpace (UW-Madison) .
- Click your name in the upper right corner and select My Media from the drop-down menu:
- Search for or scroll to the media item you want to link to. Click on it.
- Click Actions and select Publish:
- Select Unlisted from the publishing options. This will make the media item visible to anyone who has the link. Click Save:
Note that videos whose publishing status is set to "unlisted" can be viewed by anyone! We have had instances where people have shared links to unlisted videos publicly so do not do this with copyrighted works.
Also if your media is currently Published to a private channel you may want to reconsider setting the media item to "Unlisted" as doing so will un-publish the media item from all categories/channels. Kaltura will warn you and you will have to click "OK" if it is published to a category/channel. Lastly, you will not have student analytics in Kaltura MediaSpace on any media students are viewing with an "unlisted" link. Alternately you could publish your media to a channel set to "Restricted" which requires students to login to MediaSpace before viewing the media.
- Click the Share tab.
If your browser window is narrow, you may need to click the Details
button to get to the Share option. Click into the text under Link to Media Page and click Control-C on Windows or Command-C on OSX to copy the link:
- Open a new browser tab and navigate to your Canvas course: canvas.wisc.edu
- From the Modules tool click the + button next to the module you want to add the link to:
- A new window will open - "Add Item to Module". Click the Add drop-down menu and select External URL:
- Paste the URL you copied from Kaltura MediaSpace in step 6 into the URL box.
- Add a Page Name.
- Check the Load in a new tab box.
- Click the Add Item button: