Canvas - Linking to a Kaltura video from a Canvas course module [UW-Madison]
This document describes how instructors can link to a Kaltura video from within a Canvas course module.
Learn@UW-Madison recommends that instructors embed Kaltura media in a Page or other Canvas item when possible; as described in Canvas - Upload and embed a new Kaltura Mediaspace video in a Canvas page [UW-Madison].
We do not recommend linking out to Kaltura media from a Canvas course because:
- It's more work than embedding Kaltura media in a Canvas Page
- It requires students to leave Canvas.
- Instructors cannot test the page in the Canvas Student View (because the link sends students outside Canvas).
- Publishing settings require making the video public, which allows any user to re-share or re-embed the content. This introduces copyright issues.
- The analytics gathered on student viewing of your media will all be anonymous.
- Launch Chrome or Firefox and go to Kaltura MediaSpace: mediaspace.wisc.edu. If you need more information on how to log in to MediaSpace please see Kaltura - How to Log in to Kaltura MediaSpace [UW-Madison] .
- Click your name in the upper right corner and select My Media from the drop-down menu:
- Search for or scroll to the media item you want to link to. Click on it.
- Click Actions and select Publish:
- Select Unlisted from the publishing options. This will make the media item visible to anyone who has the link. Click Save:
- Click the Share tab. If your browser window is narrow, you may need to click the Details button to get to the Share option. Click into the text under Link to Media Page and click Control-C on Windows or Command-C on OSX to copy the link:
- Open a new browser tab and navigate to your Canvas course: canvas.wisc.edu
- From the Modules tool click the + button next to the module you want to add the link to:
- A new window will open - "Add Item to Module". Click the Add drop-down menu and select External URL:
- Paste the URL you copied from Kaltura MediaSpace in step 6 into the URL box.
- Add a Page Name.
- Check the Load in a new tab box.
- Click the Add Item button: