MS Teams: Video/Audio call from Chat
Create a quick spontaneous meeting between one or more colleagues on MS Teams.
This requires that the remote person have Teams open, either via an app on their phone, tablet, laptop or desktop, or on Chrome at http://teams.micrsoft.com/ (works on laptops and tablets). TIP: You can use non-teams communication (email, etc) to prompt them to have teams open at a certain time.
TIP: It is good practice to send a text to the person confirming they are available before Video/Audio calling the person.
To "Call" a person or group of people using MS Teams:
- Click the chat icon from the Teams Navigation tool bar (it's usually on the left or bottom depending on device)
You'll see a list of people that you've previous chatted with. If the person you are looking for is present, you can click on them and skip to step 5.
- Click the start conversation icon in the top right, it looks like a square with a pencil sticking out of it.
- Although name will work, it is recommended to use email address to search for the person to ensure you get the correct person
- When you see the person you are looking for suggested below the search menu, click on them and press enter to start a chat session
TIP: send a text to make sure they are available for a call.
- Click the Camera or Phone icon in the top right. Just like a phone call, this will make the remote person's MS Teams ring, alerting them to an incoming call.
Optional: Add more people to the call.
- One the call has connected to the first person (or their "voicemail") you can add more people by going to the icon either in the top right or on the floating menu bar that looks like two people one behind the other with a plus sign next to them. When pressed, this will bring up a new sidebar.
The side bar will show who is in the meeting currently, it will also again have the person on person icon with a plus to add more people.
- Click the "add people" option
- Although you can use their name, it is recommended to search via email address. Click done after you've added the person(s)