Canvas - Course Readiness Support Role
To help assist instructors and faculty with the move to alternate modes of instruction, and in order to facilitate access to these courses within Canvas, a temporary "Course Readiness Support" role with appropriate permissions has been created. This document gives a general overview of the abilities of the role.
Support Role Considerations
The abilities of the Course Readiness Support role are similar to those of the Sub-Account Administrator but with some limitations. It is important to note if you have not been granted this level of advanced Canvas access previously, that you practice care and thought in your actions within courses, especially with deleting or removing anything within a course. In general, this access is intended to allow Course Readiness Support staff to view Canvas courses; it’s best for the Instructor or TA to actually make all changes to a course.
In this role, you will also have access to FERPA and other sensitive data. Guidelines around keeping this information secure are available from the Office of the Registrar here. Do not share this data, and if copies of it are made, please follow your department's policies around record retention and disposal.
Canvas Role Permissions
The following list is not exhaustive but does give a general overview of the abilities that this role is capable of.
The Course Readiness Support role can:
- Access all courses within their assigned sub-account (e.g., College of Education, Biology, Economics, etc.).
- View a list of all enrolled users, such as students, instructors, etc.
- Add other users to a course in instructional roles. (More information on those roles and permissions here.)
- Access, add, modify, and delete content within a course, such as Announcements, Assignments, Quizzes, Discussions, etc.
- Access grades within a course as well as modify and delete grades and scores.
- Change a course's status (e.g., unpublished or published).
- Add or remove LTI tools to a course.
The Course Readiness Support role cannot:
- Add other users as students or observers to the course.
- Change a course's information, such as its name, term, or SIS ID.
- Change a course's start or end dates.
- Designate a course as a Blueprint course.
- Increase the storage quota for a course.
- Create or delete courses within the sub-account.
- Add other users as admins to the sub-account.
Additional Assistance and Resources
Instructure has extensive documentation available to the public on their Community site. This documentation is maintained and updated on a regular basis and is the best place for Canvas how-to guides.
If you need technical assistance, please contact the DoIT Help Desk. If they cannot assist, they will escalate to the appropriate team.