Kaltura - Best practices for recording video with your mobile device
This document describes some effective practices when recording video with your mobile device.
As you plan to create a video with your mobile device consider the following:
- Orient your device horizontally. Avoid shooting vertically. Most educational media is viewed on laptops and desktop computers. Vertically oriented media can look out of place and distracting as it is not how most other media is presented in an educational context.
- Use a tripod if possible. Even the inexpensive ones are better than nothing. You'll need a phone or mobile device mount for your tripod as well. This helps keep your video from bouncing around which can be difficult to watch for an extended period.
- Create an outline. This will keep your content moving and concise.
- Limit duration. Videos over six minutes typically will lose viewer attention.
- Record where there is lots of light. Phones do great with light but not darkness.
- Don't zoom. Picture quality is dramatically reduced when your phone’s camera is zoomed in. Instead, move the tripod/phone closer to the subject you're recording.
- Don’t worry about perfection. Do the best you can and move on.
Once you have recorded your video and are ready to upload it to Kaltura MediaSpace see: