Topics Map > Research Policy and Compliance > Human Research Protection Program (HRPP) > Human Subjects Research Training
Instructions for Completing CITI Refresher Training
All personnel conducting human participants research that is approved by a campus IRB must have current human subjects training. Following initial completion, personnel must complete a refresher course every three years.
Personnel will be notified via email when their training is expiring and refresher training is required. Expiration dates can be verified by using the Research Certification Lookup.To complete your human participants refresher training complete the following steps:
- Log in to your CITI account via the UW CITI Portal using your NetID and password.
- Make sure to access the course referenced in the email reminder. It should be in the "Courses Ready to Begin" section and labeled as a refresher course.
- There are two common issues that can prevent you from accessing the refresher course. If you run into the first problem, there is a good chance you will experience both.
- Course refrenced in the email is not present under the University of Wisconsin - Madison Courses section.
- If the course referenced in the email is missing, click on the "Add a Course or Update Learner Groups" link. Then under question 2, click the box for the appropriate course.
- If your training has been expired for an extended period of time, you may not be eligible to take the refresher course and should instead re-take the basic course.
- If your training is not expired or only recently expired and you only see the basic course, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Reserach Compliance staff will email CITI to have this corrected.
If you experience any difficulty, please contact the Office of Research Compliance at email@example.com or 608-262-1703. Support is provided Monday - Friday during normal business hours.