Online Instruction FAQ
FAQ for online instruction
Synchronous (Live with instant student feedback)
- Blackboard Collaborate Ultra (recommended) - allows for screen sharing, whiteboarding, and recording. ***Recording recommended***
Asynchronous (Pre-recorded and posted for later viewing)
- Kaltura Capture - more information and instructions found on the UW KB here.
EVERY time you start a lecture, be sure to do these 2 things FIRST.
- TURN ON THE MICROPHONE (AND CAMERA, IF YOU PLAN TO USE IT) Click the microphone (and video) icon down at the bottom once you have entered your session
- START RECORDING - Go to the upper left to the Session Menu and click Start Recording.
GOOD QUALITY AUDIO IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF PRESENTING
...even more important than getting your slides to work. You can always post your slides afterwards. Having poor quality audio makes online instruction incredibly difficult for the students to absorb.
- Eliminate background noise - be sure you are someplace quiet. Shut windows, turn off fans, be away from activity. Even a LITTLE background noise can be incredibly distracting
- Find a space with no echo - Carpeted rooms with curtains, things hung on the walls, low ceilings all help reduce echo, which is the most common issue with webcam-quality microphones.
- Speak loudly, clearly, and slowly. - no different than regular lectures, right?