Topics Map > Academic Staff Executive Committee (ASEC) > 2021-2022 > 09. March

Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 03-03-22

Approved 03-10-22

ASEC Minutes

2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, March 3, 2022

53 Bascom Hall

https://uwmadison.zoom.us/j/93936751067

Members Present: Donna Cole, Jenny Dahlberg; Tim Dalby, chair; Stephanie Elkins; Shane Hubbard; Stephanie Jones; Mallory Musolf; Lindsey Stoddard Cameron; Bill Tishler

Guests: Lesley Fisher, Beth Meyerand, Meghan Owens, Karl Scholz

The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m.

The minutes of February 24 were approved.

Guest: Meghan Owens, Compensation Administration Director, Office of Human Resources

Meghan met with ASEC to discuss the timeline for appeals that may result from new/revised standard job descriptions that are coming out. OHR is still working through issues resulting from the implementation process. As new titles get rolled out, the idea is to include an appeals process as well. OHR is working on developing a timeframe for this. When a new SJD comes out, divisional HR will have 30 days to identify impacted employees to have conversations regarding the availability of new titles. The thought is to have 30 working days to file a formal appeal, which matches the original amount of time that employees had to submit a formal appeal before the timeline was extended. The volume of appeals expected in this space is considerably smaller. ASEC agreed that 30 working days was likely a sufficient amount of time to file the formal appeal but had questions regarding the communication strategy. OHR has a good idea of what these populations will look like. ASEC expressed concern about new titles not being communicated to all who might be interested in the title. ASEC discussed ideas on additional communication, and the group indicated they would discuss further with Karen and Patrick at the next meeting.

Guest: Karl Scholz, Provost

Provost Scholz reported on his interaction with the Deans related to remote work agreements/processes. The Deans have been focused on questions around remote work, with many 6-month agreements coming due soon. There have been discussions about additional communication related to remote work. There is recognition of the issues related to retention, not only for individuals wanting remote flexibilities but also for those wanting in-person workplace interactions, with the nature of the work being critical to these discussions.

Regarding thoughts on additional tools for recruiting and retention, Provost Scholz discussed three broad categories: compensation, climate, and training. In terms of compensation, we want to put additional resources into place for staff in the ways that we have for faculty and graduate students for the last several years. There is attentiveness to workplace flexibilities as a part of improving campus climate. On the training side, Vice Provost Beth Meyerand is working on a project related to supervisor training. We continue to work further on navigating issues related to hostile and intimidating behavior. ASEC expressed concerns about how TTC and salary ranges were contributing to dissatisfaction around both compensation and climate.

ASEC asked the Provost about more recent challenges and initiatives that the Provost Office is engaged with. There is the Center for Teaching, Learning, and Mentoring, which continues to evolve. There has been continued conversation around communication of general education requirements. The Provost expressed excitement about activity in the Division of the Arts with recently appointed Director Chris Walker. There is analysis happening on the recent student climate survey, with a climate survey for staff going out in April.

Guest: Beth Meyerand, Vice Provost for Faculty and Staff Affairs

Vice Provost Meyerand provided data on professorial titles to date. The professor of practice title is currently being used in the International Division. There are six assistant teaching professors in the College of Engineering and the School of Veterinary Medicine, as well as an associate teaching professor in Engineering. There are two associate research professors, one at the Waisman Center and one at the School of Medicine and Public Health. There are also two research professors at the School of Veterinary Medicine.

Vice Provost Meyerand has discussed the idea of mediation services with Patrick Sheehan. There is interest in having these services, and Patrick is discussing how this would work with OHR staff, including what financial support would look like. Vice Provost Meyerand will follow up in three weeks and provide ASEC with more information at the next meeting she attends.

She discussed the diversity, equity, and inclusion curriculum that her office has been working on in conjunction with Chief Diversity Officer LaVar Charleston and DDEEA. There have been delays with the vendor due to a possible merger. Regardless, there is the possibility of moving forward with initiating planning for the second phase of the project, which would focus more on additional training based on functional areas.

Motion to Convene in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to Discuss Appointment to the ASM Ginsburg Family Award Selection Committee (Stoddard Cameron). Seconded. Approved.

Motion to Reconvene in Open Session (Stoddard Cameron). Seconded. Approved.

Business

·       Appointment – for vote

Motion to appoint Weijia Li to the ASM Ginsburg Family Award Selection Committee (Stoddard Cameron). Seconded. Approved.

General Reports

Tim Dalby, ASEC Chair, reported on the recent meeting of the chiefs of staff, chairs, and secretaries, in which the expiration of the mask mandate was discussed. Case counts on campus have continued to decline steeply over the past month. There will be another town hall on March 10. The campus climate survey is currently being translated and is scheduled to be deployed from March 29-April 19. Tim and Jake will be meeting with staff members in the Division of Continuing Studies to discuss current career counseling resources for staff.

Jake Smith, Secretary of the Academic Staff, reminded everyone that the ASEC election launched earlier in the day. The election will close on March 17. The Academic Staff Excellence Awards ceremony is scheduled for April 18. Jake is meeting monthly with members of the Office of Strategic Consulting and the Secretary of the Faculty to discuss ongoing updates to the Policy Library.

Business

·       March Assembly Meeting Agenda – for vote

Motion to approve the March Assembly meeting agenda (Stoddard Cameron). Seconded. Approved.

·       Topics for Guests

OHR – question on smoothing single pay impacts for WRS, progression/promotion, TTC concerns, specifically around use of titles/salary ranges (e.g. school/college/division level titles for positions that ostensibly function at departmental level and downstream impacts)

ATP – plan for data in shadow systems and process for collecting info on these to ensure their continuation in the new system (especially research administration)

Meeting adjourned at 4:31 p.m.

Minutes submitted by Jake Smith, Secretary of the Academic Staff




Keywords:ASEC Minutes   Doc ID:117307
Owner:Lesley F.Group:The Office of the Secretary/ Academic Staff
Created:2022-03-11 13:44 CSTUpdated:2022-03-11 13:52 CST
Sites:The Office of the Secretary/ Academic Staff
Feedback:  0   0