Topics Map > Academic Staff Executive Committee (ASEC) > 2022-2023 > 11. May

Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 05-18-23

Approved 05-25-23

ASEC Minutes

1:55 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, May 18, 2023

53 Bascom Hall

Members Present: Donna Cole; Tim Dalby; Alissa Ewer; Stephanie Jones; Albert Muniz; Mallory Musolf, chair; Lindsey Stoddard Cameron

Guests: Lesley Fisher, Jessica Karls-Ruplinger, Karen Massetti-Moran, Patrick Sheehan, Eric Wilcots, Scott Wildman

The meeting was called to order at 1:56 p.m.

The minutes of May 4 were approved.

Motion to Convene in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to Discuss Nominations for ASEC Chair and Vice Chair (Stoddard Cameron). Seconded. Approved.

Motion to Reconvene in Open Session (Stoddard Cameron). Seconded. Approved.


  • ASEC Chair/Vice Chair – for vote

ASEC elected Albert Muniz and Donna Cole as its chair and vice chair, respectively, for July 1, 2023-June 30, 2024.

Guest: Eric Wilcots, Interim Provost

ASEC discussed a request from an Assembly representative who represents researchers. The request is around barriers to academic staff conducting research, improved compensation, and support mechanisms for partnering with faculty. At the previous meeting, ASEC discussed the notion of a committee with Vice Provost Beth Meyerand and CHRO Patrick Sheehan, who were both generally supportive. Interim Provost Wilcots was also generally supportive of a committee and discussed possible co-sponsorship between the Provost Office and the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Education. He talked about the importance of thinking about salary comparisons in this space. Interim Provost Wilcots will discuss possible next steps with Vice Provost Meyerand and Vice Chancellor Steve Ackerman, and ASEC will work on a draft of a potential charge for such a committee. Interim Provost Wilcots and Vice Provost Meyerand have also discussed other recognition opportunities for research academic staff.

Interim Provost Wilcots discussed his views on the Resolution on Improving Academic Staff Workplace Conditions and Morale. The resolution raises many important issues, with the bottom line being that continuous progress needs to be made for staff. We want to make sure that the Staff Climate Survey, as well as surveys for faculty and students, are on a regular cadence. ASEC encouraged use of the survey both as a temperature check as well as translating the results of each survey into specific recommendations for action at the school/college/division-level, or even department-level as applicable. The Provost Office is also considering more ways it can be a resource to the schools/colleges/divisions in addressing specific areas of improvement revealed by the survey, as well as the interrelationship between themes (e.g., remote work and hostile and intimidating behavior). While the resolution called for an institution-wide survey on remote work, the current Legislative Audit Bureau audit will delay implementation of a survey until the fall at the earliest.

Interim Provost Wilcots has reviewed preliminary findings from the Hostile and Intimidating Behavior (HIB) working group, with recommendations around availability and understanding of resources to prevent behaviors before they rise to the level of HIB. There have been continued discussions of a unified HIB policy across employment categories. Interim Provost Wilcots expects to see results of the group’s work in the fall. We need to have a better understanding of what is and is not HIB and how better to mitigate behavioral issues early.

Regarding President Rothman’s directive on diversity statements, these are predominantly used in faculty searches. Interim Provost Wilcots reemphasized President Rothman’s comments on our institutional commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion work.

Guests: Patrick Sheehan, Chief Human Resources Officer; and Karen Massetti-Moran, Deputy Chief Human Resources Officer, Office of Human Resources

On the topic of ageism, there have been discussions within the Equity, Inclusion, and Employee Wellbeing (EIEW) unit about how to provide support and guidance to campus on this topic. This applies both to support for hiring practices as well as performance management and career progression. ASEC suggested integrating this guidance within supervisory training. There is also a question of differential impacts of ageism among the various employee groups.

OHR reviewed President Rothman’s announcement about DEI statements as far in advance as possible. OHR has provided guidance to deans/directors and HR reps that statements as part of the written application process are prohibited. Talent Acquisition and EIEW are reviewing interview questions and other processes to be mindful of viewpoint diversity.

Regarding availability for employees, LifeMatters also provides a lot of support in this space. The Employee Assistance Office will be working with Communications to ensure that these resources are more public for both new and existing staff and faculty. LifeMatters offers several resource guides around childcare concerns and offers similar resources to around emergent care needs. EIEW is looking at how much of the support is duplicative between these two platforms, with the pending expiration of our license. While there seems to be underutilization of, the lack of communication around its availability is a substantial issue. OHR has also hired a marketing manager to support recruitment, with this being another area to think about greater communication.

General Reports

Mallory Musolf, ASEC Chair, along with Jake, met with Beth Meyerand to debrief on the most recent Academic Staff Chats. As part of that conversation, they also discussed possible recognition mechanisms for academic staff researchers through the Vilas Awards.

Jake Smith, Secretary of the Academic Staff, reported that ASEC had received a request for a member to be appointed to a task force on gender inclusive bathrooms. ASEC agreed that Lindsey Stoddard Cameron would serve in this role. Jake recently attended UWPD’s active shooter training and recommended it to those who had either not attended in a while or ever, as there was a great deal of useful information provided in the session.

Liaison Reports

Albert Muniz reported on the most recent Letters and Science CASI meeting. The group reviewed a breakdown of pay plan distribution, including those who weren’t eligible due to failing to complete mandatory training. They discussed ideas about better communication on training. L&S HR is also building up a team to look at changes to the HR system resulting from Workday.

Tim Dalby reported on the May 5 meeting of the International Division CASI. They discussed ways to collaborate with the division’s equity and diversity committee. The CASI also discussed the possibility of a climate survey staggered with the campus-wide survey, and they finalized a letter about the CASI to the incoming dean. On May 10, the Personnel Policies and Procedures Committee met to review a one-pager on job security. They provided feedback to the Compensation and Economic Benefits Committee and recommended that the Communications Committee also review the draft. There was also brief discussion around referral priority language in ASPP Chapter 3.

Lindsey Stoddard Cameron provided an update from the recent Campus Planning Committee meeting. The committee reviewed a revised rubric for proposed buildings, with an eye toward both transparency and fairness in review of projects. FP&M is holding conversations with schools/colleges/divisions about building and renovation priorities. Templates for one-page project summaries will be sent to schools/colleges/divisions in July, and the committee will discuss which projects to bring to the group for formal presentations. The aim is to have about 20, with options to do more as necessary.

Donna Cole reported on the transportation subcommittee’s most recent meeting with Patrick Kass. They continued discussion on improving communication around flex parking. Once Transportation Services has preliminary results from the most recent survey, ASEC will ask Patrick to meet in the fall to discuss specifics from the survey as well as flex parking usage data.


  • Discussion of Briefing Materials for New Provost

ASEC reviewed an initial draft of a briefing document for incoming Provost Isbell. ASEC will finalize this document by its June 15 meeting.

  • Topics for Guests

VCFA: RAMP Update; overall cost of ATP to our institution and to UW System, communication on possible job duties changing as a result of ATP; advocacy for additional housing/dining; budget update

Meeting adjourned at 4:25 p.m.

Minutes submitted by Jake Smith, Secretary of the Academic Staff

KeywordsASEC Minutes   Doc ID128633
OwnerLesley F.GroupThe Office of the Secretary/ Academic Staff
Created2023-05-30 10:56:11Updated2023-05-30 10:57:16
SitesThe Office of the Secretary/ Academic Staff
Feedback  0   0