2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, November 21, 2013
67 Bascom Hall
Members Present: Denny Hackel, Trish Iaccarino, Jim Maynard, Heather McFadden, Chair, Robert Newsom, Erin Silva, Vice Chair
Guests: Jenny Dahlberg, Alice Gustafson, Jeffrey Lewis, Noel Radomski, Steve Stern, Terry Warfield
The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m.
The minutes of November 7, 2013 were approved with corrections.
Guest: Steve Stern, Vice Provost for Faculty and Staff
Steve Stern distributed a handout on Pay Tools Portfolio. This is available at http://www.provost.wisc.edu/documents/2013_pay_merit_paradigm.pdf. Steve asked ASEC to assistant in distribute information about the Critical Compensation Fund exercise -emphasizing Category A maximum and the need to meet the dollar amount of the exercise across funding strings.
ASEC discussed the need for a contact point person available to clarify problems or address issues during the exercise. Heather M agreed to draft an e-mail to all academic staff with bullet points, including this contact person.
Assembly Standing Committee Chair Reports
Advisory Committee on Budget Issues, Policies and Strategies – Chair Russell Dimond reported that the committee met today and pointed out that many of their responsibilities have been replaced by newly formed committees at the campus level. They recommend that this committee be disbanded.
Compensation and Economic Benefits Committee – Co-chair Jenny Dahlberg reported CEBC met and assigned leads for each working group. Jason Jankowski (pay portfolio), Jenny Dahlberg (multiple roles) and Marc Turnes (promotional steps) will be the three leads.
Guests: Alice Gustafson, Jeffrey Lewis, Noel Radomski and Terry Warfield from the Budget Model Review Committee joined ASEC to discuss issues in regard to their work. They distributed a brief memo that prompted questions and comments from ASEC.
• Chair Heather McFadden reported that she and Heather D. met with members of human resources about HR Design communications. Dan Kottke was appointed as the academic staff audience point person (APP) for HR Design. ASEC could recommend another APP. Heather D. will check with the secretaries about using them as APP. Heather M requested topics for Provost DeLuca to address at the December Assembly meeting. She also asked for ASEC members to send her bullying examples.
• Secretary Heather Daniels reported that she had an inquiry about health benefits for layoffs versus non-renewals. She will check further into this question. She also reported that the Distinguished Prefix Committee agreed to allow the Secretary’s office to advertise the Distinguished Prefix twice per year approximately three months before deadline. Heather D. and Mary Johansen met with John Dowling and Brian Vaughan regarding open meetings law questions. It will not be necessary for voters to sign their name to election ballots this year. She met recently with the Continuing Studies CASI and School of Medicine and Public Health CASI about academic staff governance.
• Motion to disband the Advisory Committee on Budget Issues, Policies and Strategies. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
• ASEC discussed the priorities report prepared by Robert Newsom.
Motion to include a one page preamble to the Governance Priorities document indicating the survey results and the process for deciding the priorities. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
• Motion to approve the December Assembly Agenda (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
• The Holiday schedule was discussed. Final dates will be sent to ASEC.
• Next ASEC Meeting, December 5, 2013
-Current Academic Staff Issues on Website
-Guest: University Communications (Media Training)
• Convene in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss nominations and appointments to the Mentoring Committee, Director of Purchasing Services Search and Screen Committee and the Director of Housing Search and Screen Committee. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Motion to appoint Katy Tomlinson to the Mentoring Committee. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Motion to recommend Joie Schoonover and William Robus for the Director of Purchasing Services Search and Screen Committee (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Motion to recommend Kelly Ignatoski and Greg Smith for the Director of Housing Search and Screen Committee (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
• Reconvened in open session. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Meeting adjourned at 4:45 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff