Members Present: Daña Alder (Vice-Chair), Heather Daniels (Chair), Jason Keaton, Jim Maynard,
Jim Steele, Jeff Shokler,Valli Warren
Others Present: Martin Cadwallader, Donna Cole, Sue Dottl, Denny Hackel, Heather McFadden,
Noel Radomski, Dennis Ray, Dija Selimi, David Ward
Absent: Ben Rodriguez
Call to Order/Agenda Review
The meeting was called to order by Chair, Heather Daniels at 2:00 p.m.
Automatic Consent Business
ASEC minutes of Thursday, July 7, 2011 were approved with corrections.
• Donna will invite Rick Brooks to the September Assembly Meeting for his involvement in the Little Libraries project.
ASSEMBLY STANDING COMMITTEE CHAIR REPORTS
Mentoring Committee – Dija Selimi
• Committee is seeking additional mentors to match with mentees.
• Co-chairs with Secretary of the Academic Staff to discuss fall kick-off event.
Nominating Committee – Donna Cole
• Met with Heather and Donna.
GUEST: Martin Cadwallader, Vice Chancellor for Research and Dean of the Graduate School
Martin provided overview of the WARF funding cycle as it relates to the UW- Madison campus.
GUEST: David Ward, Interim Chancellor
Discussed a broad range of topics as highlights included:
• Moving forward on our current flexibilities
• Taking advantage of positive aspects of the budget
• Working to improve communication with UW System and the Board of Regents as well as other UW institutions.
• Finding internal sources for additional revenues
• Attracting philanthropy to give support to day-to-day operations
• Considering instructional leave for academic staff as a way to build capacity.
• Moving forward with revising the distinguished prefix guidelines.
Review Chancellor’s Shared Governance
ASEC approved this letter for the Chancellor’s signature
Update on website and ideas for featuring ASEC members
• Mary Johansen will contact ASEC members for brief statements for the website.
Planning for New Reps Orientation
• Donna will create final agenda
• ASEC will discuss details next week.
• Communication with Standing Committee Chairs needed.
Furlough Day Appeals
• Heather reported that a number of non-represented classified staff have filed appeals regarding compensation for furlough days because of the attorneys who ended up only taking 10 furlough days.
• A number of classified staff in unions who had “me too” clauses have received credit for 6 furlough days.
• Heather will see if she can find out more information.
Heather would like ASEC to create a list of issue of personnel salaries/equity issues.
Next ASEC Meeting, August 11, 2011
Guests: Katharine Lyall; Beth Huang and Tangela Roberts ASM
Convene in Closed Session Pursuant to Wisc. Stats. 19.85 (1) (c)
o SOHE Search and Screen
o Legislative Study Group
o Chancellor’s Search and Screen Committee
• Reconvene in Open Session
• ASA Orientation review agenda and assign roles
• Creation of personnel salaries/equity issues
• Principles for UW-Personnel System Review
• Next ASEC Meeting, August 18, 2011 - for decision
Chair – Heather Daniels
• Will send thank you letters to those who have worked with ASEC this past year.
• Will send letter to all academic staff in September, updating them on ASEC/Assembly accomplishments.
• She and Donna will meet with standing and ad-hoc committee chairs.
• Flexibilities working group has narrowed their list to two principles. Bruno Browning has been attending these meetings representing PPPC.
• Heather asked Jim Steele to obtain data reflecting how many hours/credit years academic staff teach per academic year.
Secretary of the Academic Staff – Donna Silver
• Met with Peg Eusch from Archives to discuss creation of a Record Schedule for OSAS.
• Nominating Committee added search and screen committees to the survey on getting involved.
• Donna will invite the academic staff member of the transportation committee and someone from the McBurney Disability Research Center to discuss the phasing-out of free disabled parking.
Meeting Adjourned at 4:35 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Donna Silver, Secretary of the Academic Staff