ASEC MinutesMembers Present:
2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, October 23, 2014
67 Bascom Hall
Marwa Bassiouni; Bruno Browning; Denny Hackel; Trish Iaccarino; Michael Moscicke; Kevin Niemi, Vice-ChairGuests:
Jenny Dahlberg, Sarah Mangelsdorf, Jake Smith, Laura Van Toll
The meeting was called to order at 2:02 p.m.
The minutes of October 9 and October 13, 2014, were approved with changes.Guest: Sarah Mangelsdorf, Provost
The Provost discussed questions regarding the new budget model. The conversation also covered information security.Standing Committee Reports
• Compensation and Economic Benefits Committee: Co-chair Jenny Dahlberg said that the CEBC is seeking guidance from ASEC regarding which shared governance priorities they should focus on during the coming year. Several suggestions were made by ASEC. Jenny will take them back to CEBC to consider.General Reports
• Vice Chair Kevin Niemi reported that Heather McFadden and he would be meeting with the Provost next week.
• Secretary of the Academic Staff Heather Daniels reported that the Communications Committee met for the first time on Monday and elected co-chairs. The Office of the Secretary of the Academic Staff is facilitating the selection of permanent meeting time, and the committee has a number of things to work on this year. She also reported on a meeting with DoIT about a shared committee database. The timeline still looks like it could start to be built in early 2015. The Distinguished Prefix Committee met that morning to evaluate 11 applications. The application number has doubled since she started sending out the emails advertising the opportunity. The deadline for Professional Development grants has passed, and 78 were submitted. Bill Tishler will be holding a meeting for Assembly Representatives or Alternates to attend at Union South prior to the Assembly meeting. The purpose of the meeting will be to discuss Assembly business in an informal setting. Assembly Representative and Alternates have been sending out a larger number of emails this year compared to last year. They have sent more than 50% of the number sent last year at this point. She also reported on conversation at the University Committee regarding the University Research Council (URC) The University Committee is considering an ad hoc committee that would decide on the composition and charge of the URC. Liaison Reports
• School of Education and Division of Continuing Studies CASIs: Kevin Niemi was invited to visit meetings for both of these CASIs. Both CASIs are supported by the Dean.
• Graduate School CASI liaison: Denny Hackel agreed to take this assignment.
• HR Design Shared Governance Advisory Committee: Denny Hackel shared the University Staff Probationary Period Policy. ASEC discussed the right of return for University Staff. Business
• Process for appointments to Campus Planning
Laura Van Toll reported that the Nominating Committee has agreed that ASEC should appoint the representative to this committee largely due to the need of having an academic staff representative who has a broad view and grasp of the issues academic staff face. The Nominating Committee suggested that ASEC consider communicating to the Assembly and academic staff about issues that come before this committee.
• Performance Management Mid-Point Conversations
Motion to adopt original document. Seconded. Motion to amend the original document with the following changes to the first two bullets.
The probationary period language in the first sentence was removed and will be placed in the new policy on probationary periods.
word phrase “coaching conversation” “feedback” was substituted for “conversation.”in the first sentence was removed.
The motion to be voted on was also amended to read "Be it resolved that the Academic Staff Assembly accepts the revised section 3 of the “Performance Management Expectations for Managers and Supervisors” policy".
Amendment passes. ASEC discussed whether the mid-point conversation provided additional value to the performance management process. Amended document was not adopted by ASEC.
• Hostile and Intimidating Behavior
Discussion was deferred until the timing is known for the Faculty Senate document.
• November Assembly Agenda
ASEC recommended inviting Angie Rosas to the November Assembly meeting to discuss academic staff layoff numbers. Marwa also suggested inviting Gary Brown to give a Campus Master Plan update at the December meeting. There was also discussion of inviting Bob Lavigna to talk about the reorganization of the central human resources office.
• Next ASEC Meeting, October 30, 2014
- November Assembly agenda-for approvalConvened in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss nominations for the Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Education Search and Screen Committee (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
- December Assembly agenda
- Guests: Sarah Mangelsdorf, Steve Cramer, Steve Lund, Catharine DeRubeis
Reconvened in Open Session (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Meeting adjourned at 4:18 p.m.Minutes submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff