Topics Map > Academic Staff Executive Committee (ASEC) > 2017-2018 > 01. July

Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 07-27-17

Approved 8-17-17

ASEC Minutes
1:30 – 4:00 p.m. Thursday, July 27, 2017
53 Bascom Hall

Members Present:  Bruno Browning; Aaron Crandall; Jenny Dahlberg; Kevin Niemi, Chair; Jim Rogers; Deb Shapiro

Guests: Ron Harris, Jason Jankoski, Mary Luther, Sarah Mangelsdorf, Carol Van Hulle

The meeting was called to order at 1:32 p.m.

The minutes of July 13, 2017, were approved.

Guest: Mary Luther, Director of Compensation and Titling, Office of Human Resources
Mary Luther reviewed a presentation that she gave to the administrative council today. Mary has also hired a communications person, Antony Hebblethwaite. She briefly walked through the latest draft of the job families document. The plan is to communicate to deans and directors, as well as shared governance and HR reps, the announcement of employee forums on the job families along with key messages (e.g. employees will not lose their jobs as a result of the study; no immediate pay bumps). She went over the timeline and emphasized that we are still in the initial framework stage of the study. The functional teams for the job families are expected to begin work in September. Mary also briefly discussed JDXpert as the tool for creating templates for job descriptions. Further discussions about this will occur with governance in October, with a plan to go live in February 2018.

Guests: Jason Jankoski and Carol Van Hulle, Co-Chairs, Compensation and Economic Benefits Committee (CEBC)
Carol and Jason presented ideas on CEBC’s activities for the next year. The committee has wrestled with the Discretionary Compensation Fund (DCF) exercise for the past couple of meetings. CEBC would like to take a look at data from DCF to see what the data reveal about some employees getting multiple issuances of DCF money versus employees who aren’t getting anything and aren’t receiving communication as to why. ASEC supported the committee working on crafting communication to promote the exercise and promote employee advocacy as well. CEBC would craft the message and work with the Communications Committee and the Secretary of the Academic Staff Office. ASEC also discussed the notion of updating the pay tools document and the FAQs on the academic staff website that pertained to compensation as part of the committee’s work in the upcoming year.

Guest: Sarah Mangelsdorf, Provost
Provost Mangelsdorf gave an update on the discussion of performance metrics from the UW System Provosts’ retreat. There was a discussion on who UW-Madison’s peers actually are when it comes to this subject. There is a System task force on this topic, and Jocelyn Milner is UW-Madison’s rep. Metrics are expected to be approved by the Board of Regents by mid-February 2018. Provost Mangelsdorf also discussed the Preventing Sexual Harassment and Sexual Assault Training that was rolled out to campus recently.

General Reports
Chair Kevin Niemi reported that he was still working with the chairs of Associated Students of Madison (ASM), the University Committee, and the University Staff Central Committee to schedule chair’s chats. He also shared a document listing ongoing initiatives for ASEC.  
Deputy Secretary of the Academic Staff Jake Smith reported that Heather Daniels met with Wayne Guthrie, Mark Walters, and Patrick Sheehan, Office of Human Resources (OHR) about the changes made to Academic Staff Policies and Procedures (ASPP) over the past year. They also discussed ways to integrate links to ASPP within OHR’s policies website.

Liaison Reports
Aaron Crandall reported that the SMPH CASI met on July 26, and there was discussion on performance management.

Motion to Convene in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) discuss appointments to the Ad Hoc Committee on Research Scientist Titles. (Browning). Seconded. Approved.

Motion to Convene in Open Session. (Dahlberg). Seconded. Approved.


•    Motion to appoint Mark Connolly, Jackie Hank, Peter Hoonakker, Shane Hubbard, Malia Jones, Megan Spurgeon, Dave Tobin, and Carol Van Hulle to the Ad Hoc Committee on Research Scientist Titles (Dahlberg). Seconded. Approved.
•    Liaison Assignments for 2017-18
ASEC discussed adjustments to the liaison assignments for standing committees and CASIs. The list will be finalized once the vacant seat for ASEC is filled in September.  
•    Assembly Engagement Update
ASEC will report at the September Assembly meeting on the progress of implementing the recommendations from the report of the Ad Hoc Committee on Assembly Engagement. Jenny and Jim will put a draft together for review.
•    HIB Website Feedback
ASEC reviewed the new website on addressing hostile and intimidating behavior. They provided feedback which will be sent to Michael Bernard-Donals by August 15.
•    Preventing Sexual Harassment and Sexual Assault and UW-Madison Training
ASEC discussed the new online training for preventing sexual harassment and sexual assault, as well as avenues for feedback on future updates to the training content.
•    Topics for Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration
Academic Benchmarking Consortium
Capital Budget and Infrastructure
General Budget Update
Apple Case
Indirect Costs

Meeting adjourned at 4:11 p.m.

Minutes submitted by Jake Smith, Deputy Secretary of the Academic Staff

KeywordsASEC Minutes   Doc ID75882
OwnerLesley F.GroupThe Office of the Secretary/ Academic Staff
Created2017-08-22 08:41:03Updated2020-07-13 15:26:00
SitesThe Office of the Secretary/ Academic Staff
Feedback  0   0