Topics Map > Academic Staff Executive Committee (ASEC) > 2022-2023 > 01. July

Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 07-14-22

Approved 07-28-22

ASEC Minutes

2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, July 14, 2022

260 Bascom Hall

https://uwmadison.zoom.us/j/93936751067

Members Present: Donna Cole; Tim Dalby; Stephanie Elkins; Alissa Ewer; Julie Johnson; Albert Muniz; Mallory Musolf, chair; Lindsey Stoddard Cameron

Guests: Elizabeth Covington, Lesley Fisher, Diana Hess, Randy Jackson, Jessica Karls-Ruplinger, Karen Massetti-Moran, Patrick Sheehan

The meeting was called to order at 2:01 p.m.

The minutes of June 23 were approved with one correction.

General Reports

Mallory Musolf, ASEC Chair, reported on the recent meeting of the UW System Reps with UW System Chief HR Officer Dan Chanen, continuing the reps’ conversations around TTC implementation and next steps. The aim is for UW System to have its plan for career progression by early fall, with the intent of campuses having autonomy for implementation of their own plans. Mallory attended her first meeting with other UW-Madison shared governance chairs. Among other issues, they discussed the feedback that ASEC received regarding staffing issues within the IRB.

Jake Smith, Secretary of the Academic Staff, reported that the Family Leave Work Group Report has been submitted to the Provost Office with a number of recommendations. A call has been issued for candidates to serve on the search and screen committee for the Chief Human Resources Officer position. Jake met with Megan Schmid, Managing Director of CTLM, to discuss the potential for an orientation for instructional academic staff. The three governance secretaries met with the HR Reps to discuss shared governance and partnership.

Liaison Reports

Tim Dalby reported on the first meeting of the Personnel Policies and Procedures Committee of the new fiscal year. The committee will continue its rolling review of Academic Staff Policies and Procedures and also wants to work on policies related to remote work and hostile and intimidating behavior. The committee raised questions related to impacts of some titles moving from university to academic staff, and vice versa.

Guest: Diana Hess, Interim Provost

Interim Provost Hess provided an update on COVID testing availability. Argyle Wade has been charged with working with the School of Medicine and Public Health and University Health Services to stand up any work groups that might be needed. Interim Provost Hess has also discussed resources for instructors with Vice Provost Zumbrunnen, with the idea that resources will look similar to previous semesters during the pandemic. Antigen tests will still be provided to faculty, staff, and students, and campus is working on plans related to PCR testing for the fall, as well as isolation/quarantine spaces.

On enrollment, we have an idea of our number of accepted freshmen, the number attending SOAR, and housing deposit numbers. This year’s incoming class will be another large class, and a more diverse class than we’ve had in previous years. University Housing is working on making the necessary space available. Schools and colleges are also adding resources as needed in order to open more sections or add advisors. We have to make sure that retention and time-to-degree aren’t negatively impacted.

Interim Provost Hess reported that she is learning a great deal in her current role. She has been considering the possibility of improvements in the process for addressing hostile and intimidating behavior, the campus budget model, and work that is being done between a group of ASEC members and deans looking at increasing diversity within staff. Those discussions on increasing staff diversity have included challenges in recruitment and retention, which have been exacerbated by a challenging labor market. The compensation plan should help, and the work that is being done on staff salaries needs to continue. We also need to be looking more at educational outcomes in gateway courses and the support systems for them.

Guests: Patrick Sheehan, Chief Human Resources Officer; and Karen Massetti-Moran, Director of Total Rewards, Office of Human Resources

OHR has rolled out the compensation exercise for the fall, which includes an increase in funding for staff. The Total Rewards team is focused on compensation and stabilizing TTC implementation at present. There need to be close collaborations with the divisions in reviews of equity, parity, and compression, and Chancellor Mnookin will need to be engaged in these conversations as well. There are also a number of requests from divisions looking at compression and parity as retention issues related to the compensation exercise. There are discussions on what should be directed centrally in conjunction with flexibility at the school/college/division level. OHR is also trying to look at grant funded positions so that these increases can be built into grants. On the topic of analyses on impacts from compensation programs by race/ethnicity and other areas, we need to continue to look at these data. TTC data will also help in analyzing how well the funds are distributed.

Regarding TTC appeals, there is a goal of handling seven per week, and there are no further extensions to the process anticipated. OHR is working with Shared Services to ensure that any title changes through this process are retroactive to November 7, 2021, and the OHR team is looking at potential impacts of the transition to Workday on this process as well.

OHR is moving forward with phrase 2 of TTC, which includes looking at the benefits framework. They have been looking at the survey results from several years ago. Paid parental leave is a high priority. Madison is partnering with UW System to estimate the cost impacts and discussing these priorities with System President Rothman. There are a number of other proposals to estimate costs for, including eliminating the benefits waiting period for university staff. OHR will also be looking at the benefits recommendations that were a part of the HR Design process.

Also a part of the HR Design process was the current career counselor position housed within DCS. OHR has made a request for an additional counselor to help make connections for staff between TTC and the career framework, as well as searching for new positions and for professional development opportunities. The VCFA has approved this addition, and OHR and DCS are discussing where the position will be housed.

Business

·       ASEC Orientation

A brief orientation on ASEC duties and processes was held. The orientation will continue at a subsequent meeting.

·       ASEC Liaison Assignments 2022-23

ASEC reviewed the existing and available liaison assignments for CASIs and the standing committees. ASEC will return to finalize these assignments at the July 28 meeting.

·       DEI Priorities Discussion

ASEC discussed a number of priorities related to interactions with a small working group of deans on increasing staff diversity. ASEC will review the priorities by July 20 in preparation for Mallory, Donna, Tim, and Jake’s meeting with the deans’ working group on July 22.

·       Topics for Guests

Interim Provost: pick up DEI conversation from 7/22; further thoughts on HIB policy improvements; other support mechanisms for, as well as data and research on, issues related to gateway courses

VCFA: perspective on the current budget model; how the shared governance budget committee is involved in decisions about the budget


Meeting adjourned at 4:37 p.m.

Minutes submitted by Jake Smith, Secretary of the Academic Staff




Keywords:ASEC Minutes   Doc ID:120054
Owner:Lesley F.Group:The Office of the Secretary/ Academic Staff
Created:2022-07-29 08:38 CSTUpdated:2022-07-29 08:47 CST
Sites:The Office of the Secretary/ Academic Staff
Feedback:  0   0