Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 09-26-13
ASEC MinutesMembers present:
2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, September 26, 2013
67 Bascom Hall
Marwa Bassiouni, Denny Hackel, Trish Iaccarino, Heather McFadden, Chair, Robert Newsom, Kevin Niemi, Jeff Shokler, Erin Silva, Vice ChairGuests:
Jenny Dahlberg, Paul DeLuca, Russell Dimond, Margaret Harrigan
The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m.
The minutes for September 19, 2013 were approved.Guest: Provost DeLuca
ASEC and the Provost discussed academic staff appointments to the Pharmacy Search and Screen Committee.
An agreement for D2P (Discovery to Product) has been signed between WARF and
UW-Madison. The director of D2P will report jointly to UW and WARF. The advisory committee, chaired by Mark Cook, will be charged shortly.
Administration is developing a plan to deal with the effects of sequestration, including factors that determine whether a particular project receives funding from a central funding source.General Reports
• Chair: Heather M. reported that the ad-hoc committee on bullying met on Monday, September 23. She discussed the committee’s name and the issue of using the term civility. ASEC members who have suggestions for this committee’s name should send them to Heather M. The budget re-allocation committee has already started to meet. The Advisory Committee for Chancellor Blank will include Regent members: Regent Behling, Regent Milner and Regent Walsh.
• Secretary: Heather D. reported volunteers are needed to provide representation at the Benefits Fair. She will not be in attendance at next week’s ASEC meeting.Liaison Reports:
UW System Academic Staff Representatives: Kevin Niemi reported that a discussion took place on the continuing problem with tuition allocation from UW System and the possibility of a more uniform performance evaluation for academic staff on all campuses. The Board of Regents strategic plan for the Education Committee includes faculty workload, quality of education and compensation. The Regents are also talking about remedial coursework for entering students.
University Academic Planning Council (UAPC): Jeff Shokler reported that the first meeting was a primer for new members. A priority for UAPC this year will be to work on the backlog of departmental reviews.
Educational Innovation (EI): Erin Silva reported that there was a guest speaker from the American Council on Education followed by a meeting of the EI committee with the speaker.
Campus Planning Meeting: Marwa Bassiouni reported that this meeting covered an overview of the 10-year campus plan. There are two projects currently in the planning stage: Chemistry Building Addition and South Campus Utility Project.Business
• ASEC held a discussion on how to achieve the goals outlined under the compensation priority identified at the Academic Staff Priority Planning Meeting.
• ASEC discussed changes to the ASEC Operating Procedures. The Procedures were passed with minor edits.
• ASEC reviewed the updated October Assembly Agenda. It was decided to ask the Ad Hoc Diversity Committee to report at the November Assembly.
• Next ASEC Meeting, October 3, 2013: Agenda items include approval of the October Assembly agenda, discussion of engagement in governance priority, and Guest, Provost DeLuca.
• Convene in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss nominations and appointments to the Compensation and Economic Benefits Committee, Office of Equity and Diversity Advisory Committee, and the Provost Search and Screen Committee. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
- Motion to approve Marc Turne’s appointment to the Compensation and Economic Benefits Committee (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
- Motion to approve Catherine Stephens to the Office of Equity and Diversity Advisory Committee (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
- Motion to include one ASEC member of the list of search and screen members to be forwarded for the Provost Search and Screen Committee (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
- Motion to approve a list of names for the Provost Search and Screen Committtee (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
• Reconvene in open session. (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
Meeting adjourned 4:58 pmSubmitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff