Approved April 4, 2013
2:00-4:30 p.m. Thursday, March 28, 2013
Members present: Marwa Bassiouni, Heather Daniels, Past Chair; Denny Hackel, Heather McFadden, Vice Chair; Robert Newsom.
Members absent: Robin Kurtz, Jim Maynard, Jeff Shokler, Chair; Erin Silva.
Guest: Jenny Dahlberg, CEBC; Russell Dimond, BIPS; Steve Stern, Associate Vice Chancellor
Vice Chair Heather McFadden called the meeting to order at 2:05.
The minutes for March 21 were approved as distributed.
- Convene in closed session pursuant to Wisconsin Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to consider participants in working group on CCF and Pay Plan education and communication; Title Mapping Work Group, and Nominating Committee Slate [Moved by Robert Newsom. Seconded by Heather Daniels. Motion approved.]
- CCF Work group: Action was deferred pending further discussion.
- Motion to appoint Marwa Bassiouni, Jenny Dahlberg, Heather Daniels, Jason Jankowski, Nancy Krattiger-Ziltner, Linda Scholl, and Erin Silva to the Title Mapping Work Group. (Moved by Robert Newsom. Seconded by Marwa Bassiouni. Motion passed.)
- Motion to approve slate for Nominating Committee pending confirmation of interest by prospective candidates. (Moved by Robert Newsom. Seconded by Heather Daniels. Motion approved.)
- Reconvene in open session. [Moved by Robert Newsom. Seconded by Marwa Bassiouni. Motion approved.]
- Reviewed agenda for April 8, 2013 Assembly Meeting
- Discussion of Search Committee phone call with Chancellor-to-be Blank and search process
- Search process: ASEC identified the need for improved communication regarding the search process, timeline, and process for submitting comments on candidates. The posting of information regarding the process and proposed timeline should be one of the first steps when a search committee is named. ASEC also recommends a more appropriate venue for candidates’ meetings with governance groups, the scheduling of a presentation to the campus community, and an evening event for the public.
- Search Committee Conversation with Chancellor to be: Chancellor Blank has scheduled telephone conversations with each member of the search committee. Heather Daniels was asked to provide information on the role of academic staff and the importance of having a Chancellor’s office staff member serve as a liaison between the Chancellor and academic staff governance. Heather was asked to share concerns about compensation, the lack of inclusion of academic staff in campus discussions, the impact of effort reporting on governance participation by externally funded academic staff, and the need for departments to recognize the centrality of academic staff participation in shared governance.
Guest: Steve Stern, Associate Vice-Chancellor: Steve indicated that a portfolio for academic staff should include compensation tools as well as a more nimble re-titling and promotion steps process. He concurred that ASEC should address the issue of career progression in the short term as well as seeking this as an outcome of the compensation and title study.
Steve also discussed plans for an education and communication strategy for future pay adjustment tools. ASEC requested advice regarding the engagement of schools/colleges/ divisions in providing data as the academic staffs CCF work teams compile their report.
Steve also requested that ASEC share its materials for the briefing binder for the new chancellor with him. Steve is sending documents related to pay issues, the cluster program, and the faculty diversity initiative. Steve expressed willingness to explore ways in which he can work to extend diversity conversations to include staff as well as faculty and students.
ASEC and Steve also discussed specific concerns related to sequestration among academic staff as well as approaches to gathering data on the impact for presentation to the Leadership Council.
- Jeff Shokler, ASEC Chair: No report
- Jo Ann Carr, Interim Secretary of the Academic Staff: Jo Ann reported on the preparation of the slates for Standing Committees, the timing of the election, the number of ballots cast to date, and the open meetings requirement for the inclusion of name and district number on the ballots. She also reported that the Academic Staff Institute planning group met to review the March 1 event and recommends that MASA sponsor an engagement fair in the Fall. Jo Ann announced that the lunch with the CASIs will be April 24 or May 1.
- Heather McFadden: Ad Hoc Diversity Plan Committee: Heather presented a list of proposed themes for the next diversity plan and asked for feedback from ASEC. ASEC expressed concerns about the wording of some of the priorities and the breadth of some priority areas and the need to identify all campus communities in the preamble.
The meeting was adjourned at 4:42 p.m.
Submitted by Jo Ann Carr, Interim Secretary of the Academic Staff.