Topics Map > Communications Committee (CC) > 2011-2012
Communications Committee Minutes 3-16-12
Minutes ASCC monthly meeting
March 16, 2012 from 11-noon
Room 2180, Mechanical Engineering bldg
Committee Members for 2011 – 2012
Sonya Sedivy, Mark Lilleleht, Bob Ash, Peter Kleppin, Greg Iaccarino, Alice Pulvermacher, Bob Rettammel, Diane Doering, Jennifer Dykema
Interns for Spring Semester 2012
Blair Brophy, Lindsey Steffes, and Ally Spaight
MINUTES BELOW IN BLUE:
IF THE BLUE DOES NOT SHOW UP ON YOUR SCREEN, SEE THE BULLETED POINTS AT THE BEGINNING OF EACH LINE BELOW (WHICH ARE THE MINUTE ITEMS)
Review priorities to promote and improve awareness of academic staff roles on campus (Branding project)
1) Review final draft of SHOWCASE poster
a. March 27, 8-11 am in the Great Hall at Memorial Union
· Add more diversity to the photo examples – Peter will send some possibilities by the afternoon.
· Members made other suggestions for Blair and Lindsey.
· Hope you are all able to go to the SHOWCASE to see the final product!
· Great work Lindsey and Blair!
2) Update on staff interviews
a. Questions are finalized
b. Interviews scheduled to begin
c. First interview candidates include
d. What steps need to be taken to sustain this activity?
- Lindsey invited 4 AS for first round of interviews
- Lindsey completed the first interview – this week
- As we move forward we should think about establishing some diversity criteria for the interviewees such as, (gender, ethnicity, roles, # of years, research/teaching/service, etc)
- Lindsey has the other 3 interviews scheduled. We plan to add 1 more for this semester yet to round out our “sampling” this semester
- Lindsey will write a draft of the first interview and send the story and interview template over to Peter so he can share it with edit/writers at UW Communications.
- She will also send Peter a timeline so he can share with John and Dennis.
- Sustainability plan/suggestion, recruit interns again next year and have this as part of their “workload”
- Peter will follow up on figuring out how to get photos/artwork for the profiles
3) Discuss search for academic staff articles to post on the AS website
a. How’s this going?
b. How can we improve upon this?
- Committee members are not finding stories from the other sources right now, but will continue to search sources.
- Additional sources being reviewed now include Engineering Notes from Dean Percy – Alice and Sonya will review the Education newsletter.
- Diane will continue to supply stories from CALS.
4) Development of an Academic Staff logo
a. Can we work on this yet this semester with SHOWCASE finishing up this month?
- Cover this next month when Pati is back.
5) How to recruit interns for 2012 – 2013?
a. Who can be point on this?
- How it worked this semester is that Greg approached English 318 instructor – Mary Florenzia (which is taught spring semester) to recruit interns and he also recruited from a personal contacts he had.
- Greg will invite Mary to our upcoming meeting in April or May to look at possibilities for next academic year 2012 – 2013.
- It appears that a committee can serve as an Intern opportunity for English 318 students as long someone can provide oversight/evaluation for the students. Greg did this for our current interns. THANK YOU GREG!
- Depending on the task we want future Interns to work on we can see which committee member could logically provide the oversight and evaluation necessary for the Interns.
6) PLEASE note room change for April meeting to room 2188
Upcoming meeting dates: The Friday immediately following Academic Assembly meetings. April 13 and May 18 from 11-noon.
April Agenda items:
· Report out on SHOWCASE presentation
· Update on AS profile interviews
· Logo Development
· Discuss co-chair opening for 2012-2013
· Plan our Thank You gathering at the Terrace in June for our outgoing ASCC members.
All meetings are in Room 2180 Mechanical Engineering, except for the April 13 meeting, which will be in Room 2188 Mechanical Engineering.