Friday, February 13, 2015
9:00 - 10:00 am
Present: Jeff Armstrong, Jeff Bohrer, Nick Ewoldt, Jay Ford, Amy Hawley, John Klatt, Stephanie Kutz, Chris Lupton, Alison Rice, Curtis Ryals
The meeting was called to order at 9:03 am.
Automatic consent business
- January minutes were approved without dissent.
Standing subcommittee reports
- PD Grants: Amy/Stephanie J.
• Will put sample applications on the website with new dates
• A reminder that Academic Staff includes:
o Clinical academic staff with “professor” titles (CHS Professor; Clinical Professor) who are not tenure-track faculty in the health sciences, veterinary medicine, law school
o Category B pay grade (e.g., State Lab of Hygiene, Veterinary Diagnostics Lab)
o In the future, may also include some formerly classified staff who elect to switch to academic staff as part of the HR Redesign
• PDRC should consider asking for more funds, and being ready for possibly different kinds of professional development requests as a result of HR Redesign changes
- Awards: Elisabeth/Jeff B./John
• Review committee chairs should contact nominators between Feb. 23 – Mar. 3, using sample letter in packet available on Box
• Discussion of lower number of applicants this year
o John will ask Secretary if last year’s nominators of non-winners were invited to resubmit this year
- Exec Ed Grants: Jay/Alison
• Submissions due Mar 1-27,
• Updated description emphasizes that award is for 2-3 day classes only
• See handouts for 2015 timeline, Memo, revised review form
- Finalize plans for DCS course-voucher program
• Decision – DCS vouchers will go to awardees in parallel with Classified Staff vouchers
• Jeff will talk to Julie about whether it would also be possible to give vouchers to non-winning nominees
• Plan is to evaluate program after this round; e.g., were vouchers used?
- Award for Excellence in Research in the Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
• Keep this item on the agenda; Alison still plans to check in with L&S Associate Dean Sue Zaeske; Jeff will join Alison for that meeting if schedules permit
- Committee size – TABLED
- Academic Staff governance priorities for 2014-2015
• Ad hoc subcommittee on funding professional development grants
o Stephanie K will follow up
• Promotion/communication; guest: Diane Stojanovich, Communications Committee
• Looking for ways to recognize Academic Staff, raise awareness, get out good stories
• Chancellor Blank has stated that we need to share our stories
o Discussion of profiling award winners and nominees and their impact on campus. Need permission to share their application?
o If from Wisconsin, could send stories to their hometown newspapers
o Could add photos and bios to their unit homepages (last year: 50 nominees, 9 awardees)
• Publicize list of recipients to local units
• Awards subcommittee chairs asked to come up with some exemplars for March meeting of outstanding non-winning nominees that could be featured
The meeting was adjourned at 10:10 am.