Topics Map > Academic Staff Executive Committee (ASEC) > 2019-2020 > 08. February

Academic Staff Executive Committee Minutes 2-20-20

Approved 2-20-20

ASEC Minutes
2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, February 6, 2020
53 Bascom Hall

Members Present: Jenny Dahlberg; Tim Dalby, chair; Stephanie Elkins; Mallory Musolf; Deb Shapiro; Lindsey Stoddard Cameron; Bill Tishler

Guests: Ron Harris, Meghan Owens, Mark Walters

The meeting was called to order at 2:06 p.m.

The minutes of January 30, 2020 were approved with one correction.

General Reports
Tim Dalby, ASEC chair, thanked Heather Daniels for her service to ASEC and academic staff at large in her role as Secretary of the Academic Staff. ASEC wished her well in her new role as Secretary of the Faculty. Tim updated ASEC on recent measures passed by ASM. He also discussed with ASEC possible future guests.

Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff, contacted list of committee members that were selected for the staff diversity committee last spring to see if they were still interested in serving. She reported on the discussion at the Faculty Senate regarding the proposed Professor of Practice title. This will come back to the Senate for a vote at the March meeting. The TTC Governance Advisory Committee met on Tuesday, and discussed the forums, salary adjustment mechanisms and salary administration guidelines. 

Liaison Reports
Stephanie Elkins reported that the Wisconsin Public Media CASI had its first meeting, which consisted of a review of governance and procedures. Stephanie also met with the Communications Committee and discussed its recommendations regarding the academic staff website, the newsletter, and onboarding documents for committees.

Bill Tishler reported that the Division of Continuing Studies CASI reconvened for the first time in several months. The CASI has added university staff members as well. 

Guest: Meghan Owens and Mark Walters, Office of Human Resources 
Meghan and Mark provided ASEC with a high-level overview of the salary administration guidelines. The guidelines will be available for review by governance soon. The guidelines contain many definitions, since having a compensation philosophy is new. Promotion and progression are differentiated within the guidelines. Program governance is delineated for responsibilities of leadership, OHR, and HR within schools/colleges/divisions. The guidelines go into how to manage salaries within a particular salary grade, and the guidelines will also contain quartiles based on levels of experience. Reports will be run to look at where people are in relation to the mid-point salary of the market. Promotions, demotions, and lateral movements will all be defined and tracked in the new system. Performance adjustments still exist in the new system. It is ultimately a mix of things that we have been doing for a long time as well as some new things. Training on these guidelines will be made available to HR reps. ASEC also asked HR about the window for appeals, which will open on May 15. ASEC encouraged HR to think about the impacts of this date on 9-month employees.

The distinguished prefix process will remain as is. The prefix will be a part of the employee’s business title going forward, and the positions will be taken out of the pay grade so that running up against the maximum will not be an issue. The shared governance policy committee is still active and met last Tuesday. The committee is working through policy on supervisor responsibilities. There is also a specialist in FLSA being hired through Huron to look at standard job descriptions and to review them for FLSA determinations. All SJDs will be looked at.

Business
February Assembly Tasks
Tim will move the resolution on the Wiscard helpline numbers, and Jenny will make the motion to rescind the districting resolution from December. ASEC members will run microphones in the new room as needed.
Proposed ASPP Revisions for Gender Pronouns
Heather sent a proposal to change all of the “he/she” or “him/her” references in ASPP to “they/them” to PPPC for its review. PPPC will discuss this topic at its February 12 meeting. If they approve, it could be on the March Assembly agenda.
March Assembly Agenda
Jake will check with the Committee on Women in the University and the Campus Diversity and Climate Committee for possible reports. Jenny will reach out to Kathi Kilgore about a possible ASPRO update.
Review of Priorities from Planning Meeting
ASEC reviewed the status of its priorities list from its August planning meeting with standing committee chairs and Assembly representatives/alternates. Jake will check with the committee chairs about a follow-up meeting on February 25.
Topics for Provost
Search and screen committee for the Secretary of the Academic Staff position, restructuring of the Provost Office, Center for Teaching and Learning, ad hoc diversity committee, and carryover topics from previous meetings of international services and financial aid/Pell Grant students.

Meeting adjourned at 4:27 p.m.

Minutes submitted by Jake Smith, Deputy Secretary of the Academic Staff




Keywords:ASEC Minutes   Doc ID:98165
Owner:Jake S.Group:Jake Smith
Created:2020-02-21 12:16 CSTUpdated:2020-07-13 10:16 CST
Sites:Jake Smith