NetID - Changing a Password
This document provides a step-by-step walkthrough of changing your NetID password. If you do not know your current NetID password and need to recover it please see: NetID - Recovering a Forgotten NetID Password
To change your current NetID password:
- Navigate to https://www.mynetid.wisc.edu/modify and login with your current NetID and password.
- Scroll down the page until you reach the section labeled CHANGE YOUR NETID PASSWORD
- Enter your new password making sure to follow the password requirements listed above.
- Re-enter your password on the next line to confirm.
- Prior to changing your password, you will be required to set your recovery email address is you have not done so already. Under the section labeled SET RECOVERY EMAIL, if "Recovery Email" is blank, enter your personal (example @gmail.com, @hotmail.com) email address.
- Scroll down to the section labeled SET RECOVERY QUESTIONS
- It is highly recommended that you configure your recovery questions. In the event that you forget your NetID or password, these questions can be used to recover your account.
- Press the button labeled Set Password and/or Questions.
Important: Following this change you will need to update any saved passwords on your web browsers, e-mail clients, and other places that you have stored your NetID credentials.
For more information on UW-Madison's Password Standards see: https://kb.wisc.edu/itpolicy/cio-password-policy