Topics Map > Funding > Student Services Finance Committee (SSFC)
General Student Services Fund Food Policy
Last updated 12/11/2020
Groups within the GSSF must abide by the following restrictions when requesting funds for food.
Food can be funded if:
- It serves a cultural or educational purpose that furthers the group's mission.
- It supports off-campus programming.
- It supports retreats, conventions, and other long events or programs planned and administered by groups in which food would allow the group to continue the program effectively without disruption (i.e. without participants having to leave to eat).
- It supports kick-off or recruitment events.
Food cannot be funded:
- For events purely social in nature.
- For regular business meetings such as staff meetings.
Additionally, food costs per diem for students, professional staff, and speakers must all fall within state guidelines. You can use the per diem food calculator to determine exact costs needed for per diem meals.
SSFC can make exceptions to the policy above with a 2/3 vote if justified by the organization.
Accounting Considerations When Purchasing Food:
- You will likely use an external requisition, direct payment form, or pro-card depending on the vendor.
- Requisitions should state name, place, date, and time of event as well as from what budget line-item the purchase should be deducted.
- The class code for food costs, in most cases, is 3780. The description of 3780 reads: "costs of meals, lodging, refreshment breaks and other expenses incurred in hosting a meeting, conference, seminar, orientation session, etc. These charges are usually billed on invoices from hotels, restaurants, travel agencies and airlines."
- As with all expenses approved by the SSFC, please be aware that a thorough justification will be required at the time of the expense.
- To make a payment or reimbursement, get a detailed itemized receipt.
- You must submit an original sign-in sheet for food purchases, along with a flier/invitation/agenda for the event.
Before committing to any food at your event, please discuss the event with the SSFC Financial Specialist.