Liberal Arts Associate's Degree and General Education Requirements
This document explains what requirements are fulfilled with a liberal arts associate degree earned by students transferring with a UW Institution Associate Degree and by students transferring from the Wisconsin Technical College System.
Will I be able to satisfy my General Education Requirements (GER) with my liberal arts associate degree?Effective summer/fall 2012, all new transfer students with an associate's degree from either a UW System (UWS) institution or one of the Wisconsin Technical College System (WTCS) schools that award a liberal arts associate's degree (i.e., Madison College, MATC-Milwaukee, Nicolet, Chippewa Valley, Western) will have their GER breadth requirements satisfied in all undergraduate schools/colleges on the UW-Madison campus.
WTCS transfer students should be aware that only liberal arts associate's degrees that are approved by both WTCS and UW System Administration are eligible for this provision. Students with associate degrees in technical fields will not have their GER breadth requirements satisfied.
UWS and WTCS transfer students with qualifying liberal arts associate degree will have satisfied the following requirements:
- Natural Science - two (2) courses for a total of 6 credits (Wisconsin School of Business liberal studies requirement: 6 credits of science)
- Humanities/Literature/Arts - 6 credits (Wisconsin School of Business liberal studies requirement: 3 credits of literature and 3 credits of humanities)
- Social Studies - 3 credits (Wisconsin School of Business liberal studies requirement: 3 credits of social science)
- Students in L&S should be aware that the liberal arts associate degree will not fully satisfy the L&S breadth requirements.
- Course-level transfer of credit may be used, where appropriate, to meet additional General Education and College requirements.