General IT FAQ

This document covers some of the most frequently asked questions regarding Biochemistry IT support.


Can you look at my computer?

If it is a departmentally owned computer, yes. We are willing to take a look at personal computers used for department-related work, but we are very limited in what we can and cannot do for a non-departmentally-owned devices. We generally do not fix personal (or home) computers that are not used for department-related work.

Before contacting us with any problems, please make sure to check your cables and connections and also restart your computer and/or problematic device. The most common issues are usually resolved by simply doing these first two steps.

The best way to request help is by opening a ticket on the Job Board.

How do I connect to the network/wireless?


The preferred method to connect is to use an ethernet cable. The wired network is faster and more reliable than wireless. Typically, all you need to do is a get a free network cable from us and plug your computer in.


The UW is part of the eduroam (education roaming) education network access service.  eduroam is a secure worldwide federated network access service developed for the international research and education community. UW-Madison is member of eduroam, so you can use your NetID credentials at any eduroam-enabled school and get instant network connectivity. This also means visitors from participating schools can get wireless network connectivity at UW-Madison.

Biochemistry users are encouraged to use the eduroam network for wireless access.  Instructions to access eduroam are available from DoIT on the eduroam KB.

Once configured, eduroam can be used at numerous campuses around the United States and throughout the world.

We do not recommend or support using the UWNet wireless network.

How do I get access to Biochemistry services?

The Biochemistry Department uses UW NetID for authentication.  To get access to Biochemistry services please have your PI or lab manager open a ticket on the Job Board requesting that your NetID be added to the appropriate group.

For off-campus users that are collaborating with a lab and need a user account please contact the PI you are working with and ask them to open a ticket on the Job Board requesting access for a collaborator.

Support for using your NetID itself is provided by DoIT Help Desk.

How do I access my phone or voicemail remotely?

Cisco's Webex software allows users to make and receive phone calls, and access or manage voicemail, with the Webex application on a phone or computer.

Employees with an assigned phone number can install Webex on their mobile device or computer to make and receive phone calls from their work phone number. To see if your phone number is eligible for this, visit the Self Care Portal ( and look under My Phones. If you see "Cisco Jabber for Desktop" you should be eligible to access your primary phone remotely

DoIT provides more information on their Webex App - Getting Started page.

How do I request changes to a Cisco VoIP phone?

To request changes to your phones, please send an e-mail to Jennifer Marino (, with a cc: to the Building Manager Julie Kennedy (

This email needs to include:

  • setup of a new phone line
  • moving a phone line from one location to another
  • changes to the display settings on the phone

Please include your phone’s MAC address, which can be found following the instructions on the following website:

Please also let us know your NET ID., and the NET ID of the phone’s previous owner (if there is a name change).  Include your name, as you would like for it to be displayed on your phone.

Let us know if you need to have voicemail set up, or have the PIN reset on an existing voicemail box.

Include the phone’s data jack numberroom number, and building address.  Include those for both the “from” and “to” locations, if you are requesting to have your phone line moved from one location to another.

If you are purchasing a new phone, please contact Biochemistry Purchasing staff (at to arrange for the purchase of the equipment before requesting the setup of a new phone line.

Please allow about two weeks for your request to be completed, and contact Jennifer/Julie if it hasn’t been completed within that time frame.

Where can I find help on campus services?

DoIT offers a wide variety of services and a number of ways to get help. First, you may want to check the Knowledge Base.  The Knowledge Base is an excellent source of information about a wide variety of resources including subjects such as:

  • Email
  • Calendar
  • NetID
  • Operating System and Software Troubleshooting
  • Learn@UW
  • And More!

If that doesn't answer your question you can open a ticket on the Job Board or contact the DoIT Help Desk. Please note that the DoIT Help Desk is not able to assist with Biochemistry services.


Keywordsfrequently asked questions network wireless eduroam uwnet support wired ethernet phone voicemail   Doc ID124016
OwnerPeyton T.GroupCALS Biochemistry IT
Created2023-02-13 12:08:31Updated2024-05-01 15:41:05
SitesCALS Biochemistry Information Technology, CALS Information Technology
Feedback  0   0