UW-Madison Box - Collaboration
- Sharing Files and Folders
- Shared Links
- Collaboration Folders
- Advanced Collaboration Features
- Collaboration Permissions
- Project Directories
Sharing Files and Folders
Box offers several different options for sharing files and folders with other people.
To share with other Box users, please see: How Do I Share A File Link With Other People?
In addition to the article above, please also note the following:
- You can use the instructions above to share with any Box user, including those outside of UW-Madison; however, non-UW Box accounts will not automatically populate in the email address field.
- It is recommended that you enter a user's standard WiscMail address (i.e. email@example.com) when adding them as a collaborator. WiscMail Plus addresses will only work if the account owner has specifically registered this address as an alias within Box.
- For instructions on registering your own WiscMail Plus account as an alternate address for Box, please see: UW-Madison Box - Registering an Email Alias
To share with users who may not have a Box account, please see: Share Files With People Outside Of Box
The above article includes information about Box Embed Widget which is useful when sharing Box content through another service such as Canvas.
Shared links provide an easy way to grant access to your files and folders. By leveraging a variety of additional permissions options, you can use shared links to facilitate many levels of access and collaboration.
For information on generating shared links and customizing permissions, please see: https://support.box.com/entries/20894888
If you know that you will be collaborating on multiple files with the same group of people, you have the option of creating a collaboration folder to easily organize your files while also managing collaborator permissions.
For instructions on creating folders and enabling collaboration, please see: https://community.box.com/t5/Managing-Your-Content/How-Do-I-Create-New-Files-and-Folders/ta-p/318
Advanced Collaboration Features
There are a number of settings that allow you to customize permissions and view options for collaboration. For more information on the various options available to you, please see: https://support.box.com/entries/20358627
In Box, permissions are generally set using access levels, which essentially equate to "roles". Each one of these roles entails a specific set of actions that a user with that access level can perform.
For a breakdown of the actions that can be performed by users who are granted these various access levels, please see: UW-Madison Box - Collaborator Permissions
In addition to user-based enterprise Box accounts, UW-Madison Box also offers the option to request a project directory for long-term group collaboration. For more information on how project directories work and how you can request one, please see: UW-Madison Box - Project Directories